1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sneezing season

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Bedlam3, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Hay fever season approaches. I was reading on the internet that a lack of vitamin D can cause Hayfever to be worse so I've bought some vitamin D tablets and I'm going to give them a go. I will do anything to try and alleviate it.
    I've tried local honey, various anti histamine tablets, Vaseline up my nostrils, etc
    Has anyone come across anything that works? It's my eyes that suffer most, they itch, swell up and then get infected. It's like having a heavy cold for 3 months and by June I am worn out with it.

2. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I use a pirinase nasal spray each night and take two antihistamine tablets each day from the end of April until the end of August.

3. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

So are you Taking more than the recommended amount of anti histamine tablets as these are usually one a day? I must admit when I am really bad I take more than I should.

4. lrw22

20180324_112540.jpg No I take these and you are ok to take up to three a day. It's not cheap but the one a day antihistamines don't touch my hayfever.

Bedlam3 likes this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Is it possible that it has already started? My eyes have been puffy and itchy for a few days. Usually only mildly affected but suffer more with insect bites.

6. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

I also suffer very badly from hayfever.

Combination of Fenofexidine and a nasal inhaler, which reduces the sensitivity and inflammation in the nose, breaking the cycle, has worked well for me. A trip to the GP is required as these are not available over the counter, but there is very effective stuff that can be prescribed.

7. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Thanks everyone. I also take Fexofenidine prescribed by the doctor which is better than previous over the counter stuff but still doesn't relieve it sufficiently. I was rather hoping I would have grown out of it by now.

8. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

9. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

Go ba
    Do go back and ask if there's anything likely to be more effective. There are plenty of good treatments available. It's just a case of finding the combination that works for you. X

Bedlam3 likes this.
  10. miranda-s

miranda-s New commenter

I get early hayfever at this time of year and I'd recommend eye drops like Opticrom for the itchy, puffy, runny eyes. I also find a prescription nasal spray called Avamys really effective for getting rid of my symptoms. Antihistamines do nothing for me, even taking several a day, but the eye drops and nasal spray work wonders. In some years I've also had a medication from my doctor called Montelukast which is usually for asthma but can also be used for hayfever. This has worked well if the drops and spray weren't quite doing the trick.

Bedlam3 likes this.
  11. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Thank you @Irw22 for the recommendation. I have been trying the Benadryl for a few weeks now and I can report that this is the best summer I have had for 25 years! It works so well for me along with Optrex Hayfever eye drops and Prevalyn nasal spray. I feel like I can just enjoy the summer now.

12. lrw22

Glad to have helped.

Bedlam3 likes this.