1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sneaky Ofsted

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fairport, Feb 2, 2012.

1. fairport

fairport New commenter

I was phoned today with the wonderful news of a one day monitoring visit tomorrow. After the phone conversation, the inspector phoned back to say that his internet service was down so he couldn't receive the documents he wanted me to send. Instead he announced he would drive over to school to collect. This meant that 1.5 hours after the phone call, he was in my office looking at data with me, all the while stressing that the inspection hadn't really started!

He was with me for 2 hours this afternoon. Has anyone experienced this, as I'm feeling annoyed that I really only got a few hours notice. At least it will all be over before the weekend!

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Yes this happened to a local school about 2 weeks ago, got the call around 9-10am and the inspector was in by 3 even though the monitoring visit officially started the next day.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Well soon they'll just be knocking on the door!!

4. What were they monitoring?

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Just to confirm - is a monitoring visit a data and paper-trail based visit? Rather than a full blown work scrutiny/observation/pupil & teacher interview visit?

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Actually - just occurred to me that this would be one of the monitoring visits they do to a certain percentage of satisfatory schools within a year of inspection?
    So - the focus would depend on your improvement areas, then?

7. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Yep, I meant the above - looking at targets and monitoring improvement after a year. At the school I previously mentioned this involved lots of fairly short observations (15-20 mins on average), and a focus on year 2 and 6 books and data. I expect the focus of the monitoring would depend on the targets.

8. Robyn147 - you are right, as of september 12th Oftsted will be doing a certain amount of "no notice" inspections. Look out for a strange man in the car park!