1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sneaky land-grabbing

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Mar 8, 2016.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I'm annoyed with my neighbours. Before they moved in next door we put up a fence which was about 6" from the boundary (marked by concrete posts and a wire). This was deliberate so that if we needed to do anything like replace the posts we would have a little wiggle-room and not encroach.

They started removing the posts and we told them that they should have left them as they mark the boundary - so they left one. Then they painted their side of our fence (without asking) as they wanted to put up plant support wire on the fence (without asking) and grow things up it. Then they put a couple of bike-sheds right up against the fence (but on a concrete apron which was already there). Now they have built up another apron, this time with compacted earth and gravel, again right up against the fence, where there was just lawn on their side. We only noticed this as one of the fenceposts has to be reconcreted as it's got wobbly due to recent winds.

They have put some sort of barrier (metal strips and then a barrier of paving slabs which are right against the fence - "so the earth isn't touching the fence") which they think is fine, but the fact remains that they are over the boundary line, and putting something pretty permanent down, on which they intend to put more bike sheds and a greenhouse. What's really irritating about this is that they just do this stuff and assume it's all fine.

6" sound petty - but when you multiply it by the length of the garden which is about 90', it works out to quite a lot of land.... and it also makes it impossible for us to ever replace the fence and, say, plant a hedge on the boundary line, if they have put sheds and what-have-you.

OH's instant reaction to this was 'well they'll have to move it' - but he doesn't like confrontational stuff so it will be down to me to go and talk to them. We are within our rights to tell them they need to take the work back to the boundary line - but what's the best way to go about this? Letter? Knock on the door and have a chat? We don't know them all that well as they keep themselves to themselves. Anyone else had this sort of problem?

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

If you told them the fence posts were the boundary you can hardly blame them for treating it as such. You need to copy the deeds with the boundary on and go round and show them. Apologise for perhaps giving them the wrong impression before.

wanet likes this.
  3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

No I didn't tell them the fence posts were the boundary, we made it plain that the original concrete posts were the boundary. The fence posts are 6" over in our direction. They know this.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Your garden is called Crimea and your neighbour is called Vladimir!

sabrinakat likes this.
  5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Yes you need to act. I have had experience of this. Is that original boundary post still there ? I do hope so. I hope you have photographic evidence of the original fence boundary too. Keep anything like that. Just be business like and insist on your land being returned to you.

Foolishly as it turned out, when we bought the adjoining land to our property, because we were going to be keeping horses and ponies we wanted to put up post and rail fencing (safer than any barbed wire etc) even though the post and wire fencing along the boundary of the back gardens of the rest of the road was quite substantial. However we post and railed the entire land and in the second paddock we left a section to remain as a path for the convenience of the villagers on that side of the village (another mistake)

Move on a while and one day we came across the fact that one property was clipping its garden vegetation and dumping in the the 1/2 - 3/4 metre gap.When we pointed out that this was not a neighbourly thing to do the response was "It's our land"! Our reasoning for erecting fencing was so that the horses couldn't lean on neighbour's fences trying to get any tastier food source in their gardens. We also planted hawthorn cuttings in the gaps. Cue the local authority sending out community service numpties with an even numptier person "in charge" who decided hawthorn saplings were weeds and they killed or removed them. It turned out that we were rather foolish to do anything with any long established boundary and luckily we had evidence of original posts and the state of the land/area from when we bought it. The path we had left - well alas 3 drunken lads leaving the village pub one night broke all the fence posts at the base o their way home, caught, charged, found guilty, ordered to pay restitution - it didn't happen. As it had been a really hard job post hammering those posts in (the top soil covered previously left hard core from Motorway construction) so we decided that the path would have to close. We got some right grief over that. Luckily one sympathetic neighbour whose garden ran along the path fully supported us and looked out for the state of the fence, discouraging people from climbing it to short cut to the `motorway bridge.

So... even though you are only talking about 6 inches.... people everywhere will take advantage. I have to say that when viewing a house and the vendor's wife mentioned a neighbour dispute re their extension we moved on without a backward glance !

wanet likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Never a need to downplay 6 inches...

I'll get my coat.

wanet and Motherofchikkins like this.
  7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Very true.

Which is why I'd be loathe to get into a dispute with my neighbour as this has to be disclosed before contracts are exchanged...

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Ah, sorry. I got mixed up.
    Then they should know better.