1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SNAP assessment

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by RJR_38, Jan 11, 2012.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I have just taken over as SENCO in an independent school which has a fairly high level of SEN compared to other schools of its type.
    Many of the systems that are in place need changing but the area of assessing children is one I am not sure about. The current policy says that any children the teachers have concerns about are reffered to me and I firstly do an observation of them.
    Then what seems immediately after I should do a SNAP assessment on the child using the results to implement support strategies/mechanisms or to decide if we refer them on to OT or SLT (at a cost to parents).
    I have to admit I have never done the SNAP assessment before but reading through it, it all seems very generic and I am wondering if we are perhaps assessing the children too early? Should we be implementing strategies etc based on my observation/meeting with teachers and then if these don't work doing the assessment?
    Has anyone got any experience of these tests? Are they useful or not? All thoughts or ideas about the referral processes in your school would be warmly welcomed.