1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Snakes - Risk Assessment

Discussion in 'Science' started by DrP2000, Jun 6, 2019.

1. DrP2000

DrP2000 New commenter

Hi all,
    I would like to bring my snake to live in my classroom. The head and my HoD seem supportive, but I know I will need a risk assessment, etc.
    Do any of you have experience with this and can offer some advice on setting it up, or an example I could use?

Many thanks if you can.

Paul

2. particlezoo

particlezoo New commenter

That's a brilliant idea!
    I would check the educational section of zoos/animal sanctuary places. They might have a downloadable one you could pinch.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Try CLEAPSS. If your school isn't a member they should be.

Evertonian likes this.
  4. Goat2

Goat2 New commenter

Well funny no one asks the question "what species is it?". I suspect they may carry Salmonella, if it bites this could be a likely blood poisoning episode etc!
    Have worked in a Teachers' Centre where two large pythons were on show and brought out to drape over students. Came to an end when one mistook the handler's ( also a Paul;) hand for a white rat. Took about 30 minutes to prise the jaws open and he then had to put the damned thing back in the tank! But corn snakes or similar would be fine.
    PS if a grass snake stay well clear, their defensive mechanism is afoul liquid which will overcome any knwn soap, deodorant or aftershave for days!1

5. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

but why?

6. gainly

gainly Established commenter

That was my reaction. Maybe so he can feed naughty children to it.

7. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Just remember to call it Lumpy

8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

The risk assessment should be easy. I am guessing the main risks are: infections/bites from the snake. Children being scared/panicked or fainting and the snake escaping.

9. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

I remember one by the name of Boadicea. In those days no-one wrote RAs, we used common sense and judgement.
    We also had some US Army marching compasses with tritium illumination. As they were compasses and not lab kit they were kept happily although they were far more radioactive than any sources we were allowed to have for science.

10. Orion

Orion New commenter

My question is how does the snake feel about being handled and gormed at by 30 pupils?

I often wonder in Biology teaching if we should just observe from a distance in a natural habitat or watch a video. Creatures taken out of their own habitats are rarely happy and this snake surely would be living as a prisoner, not a great topic to show pupils.

Humans maybe need to realise we must embrace nature not cage it.