1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

snails!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by orangeshortbread, Jan 30, 2011.

1. I am thinking about doing a science investigation involving keeping snails in the classroom. I want the children to find out if they prefer a damp environment or a dry environment. This would mean keeping them in a plastic container in the classroom for a few days.

Am I allowed to do this these days? Are there any health/safety points that I have to cover?

Thanks so much for your help.

2. I am thinking about doing a science investigation involving keeping snails in the classroom. I want the children to find out if they prefer a damp environment or a dry environment. This would mean keeping them in a plastic container in the classroom for a few days.

Am I allowed to do this these days? Are there any health/safety points that I have to cover?

Thanks so much for your help.

3. During my probationary year, (thats NQT year to the young ones), I had them in my classroom but that was 16 years ago before the whole H&S malarky. They got out of the hole in the top cover of a fish tank and ate through a display and books in the book corner overnight.
    The class were amazed because they thought they were meant to be slow ... in one night they had reached all corners of the classroom. However, it was great fun finding them and talking about why they had gone to their hiding places. An investigation of sorts I suppose but I've never had them in class since then.
    I got a big telling off for the books and not knowing they would escape [​IMG]

4. lol that's funny, CSI!

We also have an outdoor area outside our classroom so I could keep them in a tank outside so that if they do escape there is no harm done to the classroom. It just means that we would have to actively check them rather than constantly spotting their behaviour.

Any one else know about H & S for this?

5. Why not use woodlice? They move quicker and you'd be able to do the experiment in a few hours and then put them outside again. I did this with a big tray with four different habitats - one in each corner, we watched them scurry about and find the dark, damp one. All done within an hour really and then released them back outside again. No risk of any of them escaping as they can't climb smooth plastic vertical walls. No health and safety needed.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Fine as long as children wash their hands if they handle the snails.
    We kept GALS as class pets

7. Why not gather a few Education Directors and keep them in a tank? Make one of the habitats money and the kids could watch them slime all over it. They can than scurry back under the stone they came out from.

8. What if they die? Seems a bit harsh to do experiments on live creatures...

9. Are you talking about the snails or education directors [​IMG]

10. I suppose I mean everyone but I know which I'd rather keep in a cage!