1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

snack ban on urban public transport to curb childhood obesity

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Oct 11, 2019 at 2:03 AM.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Words fail me.

Jamvic, jellycowfish and Laphroig like this.
  2. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Will bus conductors (pictured above for the young 'uns who don't remember them) be re-employed to enforce the regulation, or will bus drivers be expected to stop their vehicles and investigate when they suspect the snack ban is being flouted on the upper deck?

Jamvic, nizebaby and alex_teccy like this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

Its a good idea and snacking needs to be banned elsewhere too. Its high time we returned the phrase 'save your appetite for your main meal'. Obesity is getting worse.

ShowerGel, bombaysapphire and caress like this.
  4. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

What a stupid idea: a ban, rather than education. There is far too much interference in our private lives. What about those of us who may need to ‘snack’ for medical reasons? As a diabetic, I never travel without food. A food ban on public transport will mean I use my car a lot more so well done for the government’s joined up thinking on encouraging us to reduce our carbon footprint.

Jamvic, xmal, jellycowfish and 2 others like this.
  5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

On local travel (e.g. buses, underground trains) as distinct from long distance, there is a good case for banning snacking on the grounds that the smells and mess is anti-social... It is banned in some countries (e.g. Japan, I have heard) already.

ShowerGel and install like this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Best they do.

Things are really getting out of hand up there!

[​IMG]

7. ms honey

ms honey New commenter

Let's hope it doesn't whizz round a corner

Jamvic, ViolaClef and needabreak like this.
  8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

It won't fix childhood obesity but would make travelling more pleasant, those last trains home in particular.

9. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Established commenter

How do you enforce a ban? Will it fall to our overstretched coppers? Will fat people claim that they're being harrased and discriminated against? Will we have a snack police? What about snack volunteers?

Jamvic, border_walker and Laphroig like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I suspect an army of self-appointed snack vigilantes.

Jamvic likes this.
  11. LondonCanary

The same way as the smoking ban?

ShowerGel, lizziescat and FrankWolley like this.
  12. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Established commenter

Let’s call them Weight-Watchers

Jamvic, ViolaClef, neddyfonk and 2 others like this.
  13. colpee

colpee Star commenter

4B4A6625-55F1-4996-9299-3BD1C421D6D7.png

Jamvic, lanokia, alex_teccy and 2 others like this.
  14. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

I don't agree with many of your Brexit comments, but THIS made me laugh. Well done.

Jamvic, alex_teccy and nomad like this.
  15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

An opinion piece about this.

Personally I can't see any point in introducing rules that will be impossible to implement and prone to causing arguments, but the fact remains that not just childhood obesity, but obesity in general has been rising for a long time and is causing serious health issues.

What's the answer?

16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm not sure how banning food on public transport would help childhood obesity?

17. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

If you saw some of the kids around here diving into a family-sized bucket of crisps on the bus each day, you might see how it could help - although I guess they'd only down them at the bus stop if they couldn't eat on the bus.

I'm sure I remember seeing signs on London buses some years ago forbidding the consumption of food or drink, which later disappeared for some unexplained reason (probably because the ban couldn't be enforced), but a quick google has failed to turn up evidence.

18. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Maybe they were bought by the company that has my council’s contract? I’ve seen these signs on some buses here. They’re not that prominent and I can’t see them affecting passenger behaviour much but I’ve never noticed more than a few school pupils - or adult passengers - eating on short journey buses.

19. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Lets go the whole hog and re-introduce virtual ration books. All foods are given a point score for fat, sugar and alcohol. Every family member has weekly food/alcohol vouchers ( a phone app) for an agreed point score in each category which is reduced at the point of sale and updated on an agreed day of the week. Impose fines on suppliers offering food on the black market and people found buying sweeties from strangers ! This may sound far fetched - but the concept worked well in WW2.

20. LondonCanary

Like the bloke in the picture, I hate this on the underground.
    [​IMG]