1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Smt without the experience

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by EBC, Oct 9, 2019.

1. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Im after some advice.

Without giving too much away, a vacancy has come up for a deputy head position in a school I'm interested in. I don't have any leadership experience. Have been teaching in a similar school for 10 plus years, but (if you've read any of my other posts) there's not been any chance to be promoted.

I think it's worth applying, but what do you think? What happens if I do get to the interview stage and they ask me to present something about leadership and I frankly don't have a clue......

Would they consider my allocation with no leadership experience or could/should I say this in my personal statement?

Thanks in advance.

2. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

**Application not allocation

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What does Person Specification say? Could you construct an application that meets it?

Apply if you like the school and the job. What's the worst that could happen? You don't get the job but you get some valuable interview experience (after 10 years without any?) and if you are lucky some worthwhile feedback.

Everyone has to apply for their first SLT job at some point - this is it for you!

In your application emphasise whole school things you have done. It may not be SLT but it is leadership experience. And supporting other staff (have you been an NQT mentor?). You may have done more leadership stuff than you think. CPD for whole school responsibilities?

steely1, Pomza and EBC like this.
  4. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

That's my thinking.

Its just hard to actually make a list of things we do. Subject coordinator yes, but I don't really have any 'responsibilities'.

5. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I've worked for headteachers with less experience than you. They were sh1t, but they got headteacher jobs.

Look at it another way - what chance do you have of getting it if you don't apply?

agathamorse and EBC like this.
  6. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Eh? Surely as a subject coordinator you have whole school responsibility for monitoring and development in your subject(s)? Resourcing, training, trips etc?

agathamorse likes this.
  7. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Yes... Those have gone on my list tonight.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Have you been on any CPD/courses on management or leadership, or expressed a desire to do this in your performance management?

If you like the school and the Head and are keen to go for a Deputy post then make sure you tick as many of the person and job specifications in your application.

9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Apply. The other applicants may not have much SLT experience either. You never know...

agathamorse likes this.
  10. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

It's hard!

How do I show a time when 'problem arised yet I showed creativity to find solutions' !

Im sure Ive done these types of things but its hard to think of them of them as an example.

11. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

What’s the format of the school- primary/secondary - large or small?

If you want my honest opinion from someone who has been a Headteacher for over 22 years- I personally would not recruit a Deputy Headteacher without any previous management or leadership experience irrespective of how long that they have been teaching. Without sounding patronising, a class teacher is only accountable for the classes and the pupils that they teach. The natural next step for progression would be a middle leadership role (Phase Leader/Subject Co-ordinator/ HoD) and then Assistant Headteacher- unless, there are no PL or SC role structure in place. The role holder of a Deputy Headteacher would be required to step up to Headteacher in their absence (whether it’s long term or short term) and if you’ve got no previous experience in leadership, I think you will find it difficult- reading these forums or books on leadership will not necessarily gain you skills- you need to experience situations first hand- and if you move into a middle leadership role first, you’ll gain some of this!
    Furthermore from what you were saying, if you are not getting the career progression you want in your current school, then I strongly suggest you arrange a meeting with your line manager or your HT and discuss your future career goals to see how they can support you. If you feel that you’re not getting the support, then advise that you are going to start looking for new opportunities and ask if you can use them as a reference. You need to ask before you apply anyway for any position.