1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

SMT strategy for dealing with complaints - is it bullying?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by xtra, Mar 6, 2011.

1. xtra

xtra New commenter

I've also placed this in the opinions section... but would like some advice as I think i'm being bullied!
    I've been off sick and come back to find that some students and their parents have made formal complaints about me, such as "we've been doing the same thing for ages"(not true, scheme of work and student files backs this up!) "my work is never marked"(again, work is all marked regularly and I have evidence to prove this) "my teacher said "....." (not exactly true, I said something that the students have twisted in their little heads, including the exact wording I used) "we dont know how to improve and are never assessed" (again, lies... i have evidence of this)
    The process in my school is guilty until proven innocent, indeed other members of staff were made aware that they may be required to take over my classes due to the complaints before I was even made aware of them!
    I was told 2 whole months after the letters of complaints had been sent, since which parents have been in for a meeting with my line manager and the head. Giving the students plenty of time to go and gloat about it to their friends - and indeed give others in the class some ammunition to nit pick and put in a complaint themselves!
    The students have even been taken out of their lesson as a large group to voice their opinions about me to my line manager and the headteacher, all done behind my back in secret of course!
    The situation is not resolved, but I am now gathering evidence to support my claims that these students are lying, my union rep thinks I have a strong case! We need to start teaching these students about what happens in the real world when they do this! Stop *****-footing around getting them to take "responsibility for their learning" and get them to take responsibility for their actions for a change! I am of course on the lookout for another job, but cannot believe that this has happened to me... and that my school have been so poisonous about the whole thing!
    Is the strategy that has been used normal? Am I being bullied? Am I over-reacting? what would you do?

2. xtra

xtra New commenter

I've also placed this in the opinions section... but would like some advice as I think i'm being bullied!
    I've been off sick and come back to find that some students and their parents have made formal complaints about me, such as "we've been doing the same thing for ages"(not true, scheme of work and student files backs this up!) "my work is never marked"(again, work is all marked regularly and I have evidence to prove this) "my teacher said "....." (not exactly true, I said something that the students have twisted in their little heads, including the exact wording I used) "we dont know how to improve and are never assessed" (again, lies... i have evidence of this)
    The process in my school is guilty until proven innocent, indeed other members of staff were made aware that they may be required to take over my classes due to the complaints before I was even made aware of them!
    I was told 2 whole months after the letters of complaints had been sent, since which parents have been in for a meeting with my line manager and the head. Giving the students plenty of time to go and gloat about it to their friends - and indeed give others in the class some ammunition to nit pick and put in a complaint themselves!
    The students have even been taken out of their lesson as a large group to voice their opinions about me to my line manager and the headteacher, all done behind my back in secret of course!
    The situation is not resolved, but I am now gathering evidence to support my claims that these students are lying, my union rep thinks I have a strong case! We need to start teaching these students about what happens in the real world when they do this! Stop *****-footing around getting them to take "responsibility for their learning" and get them to take responsibility for their actions for a change! I am of course on the lookout for another job, but cannot believe that this has happened to me... and that my school have been so poisonous about the whole thing!
    Is the strategy that has been used normal? Am I being bullied? Am I over-reacting? what would you do?

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

If it's taken this long to respond (2 months +) they're not taking the student complaints very seriously - so that's not your school's medium term motivation for whatever they're doing
    It's difficult to follow the sequence of events.
    I would say:
    1. Focus on getting well
    2. Keep talking to your union
    3. Try to find someone at school with whom you can talk to find out what's going on.
    Stay strong - best wishes,
    P

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

In addition to my previous comments, having thought about them.
    Don't be pushed around by hearsay. rumours can build up, andd all sorts of stories can rotate about a person, especially if they've been off sick.
    Stick to definite conversations with management, try not to fret about third party allegations. If you do have meetings with management, take someone in with you, preferably a union person, failing that someone you can trust to listen carefully and confirm any key points.
    Best wishes,
    P