1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SMT role not paid on leadership scale

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by lovelylouboutins, Apr 28, 2011.

1. How would you view a role that is advertised as SMT/SLT role but is not paid on the leadership scale but on the TLR scale?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

The one that I have!
    I'm SLT ( in fact apart from the Head, I'm the only SLT!) and receive the lowest TLR there is.

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I did this too many moons ago. It was an " a" allowance in those days for about £1000. I deputised for the head, led literacy and ICT and was senco and key stage leader. Not a lot of cash for a lot of work but amazing experience.
    It also got me a terms experience as acting head.

I remember when I moved on to DHT I got about a £10k payrise though.

Think of it as a career move, often they're not about money but about experience. I know of plenty of people who've taken pay cuts to become deputies or heads.

4. Thanks for the replies. It wasn't really about the financial aspect because some TLR payments can be greater than the Leadership spine. My concerns would be for how serious the role is viewed. Interesting views. I also would happily take on the 'correct' move for less money.

5. I would agree that the experience building aspect is vital in order to becoming competent to climb the ladder. However try to ensure that you have a time frame in mind for moving on or you could end up accepting more and more responsibility for no financial reward.

6. Im SMT- TLR2B!! Others doing same job as me in a differrent school on leadership scale. It does sometimes vary from schools to schools depending on budgets and structure.