1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SMT Reputation on TES forums

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Phillyparker, May 8, 2012.

1. Have you seen what some of our colleagues write about us on the other forums? I was really quite surprised as it would apear they really don't like us much - I just wonder if 'we' wrote about 'them' in the same way what the reaction would be? By the way I'm using the 'quotation' marks as an ironic statement.

2. Have you seen what some of our colleagues write about us on the other forums? I was really quite surprised as it would apear they really don't like us much - I just wonder if 'we' wrote about 'them' in the same way what the reaction would be? By the way I'm using the 'quotation' marks as an ironic statement.

3. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

Depressing isn't it.
    I suppose we just need to remember that one of the main things people need to do
    is to moan about their bosses . . .perhaps these forums (Fora surely!) do serve a purpose after all

4. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

Perhaps part of the problem is that SLT blame teachers for this attitude instead of looking at themselves. If a whole class of kids moaned about a teacher they'd sure as hell do something about it; they wouldn't blame the kids that's for sure.

5. Oh for Gods sake I meant it as a joke ... of course SLT are going to be whinged about, as the previous post says everyone moans about their boss. Not my staff though, they skip deliriously through the carpark excited by the prospect of yet another policy/strategy I have decided to implement on a whim on the drive to work.

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Sweeping generalisations. How useful.

7. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

I suppose I should be glad and relieved you haven't told us all how desperately hard you work, and how wonderful you are. Still I can always look back over your thousands of other posts if I feel nostalgic.

8. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

nice personal attack, well done- I thought it was SLT who were supposed to be vindictive bullies? Maybe you should apply.

9. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Have to agree.
    Have lost count of the number of SMT who tried to outscore each other with pointless initiatives and 'novel' ways of doing something 'better'.
    I will never regret leaving SLT.

10. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

One would have thought that most posters who log into the TES SMT forum would have been members of SMT rather than angry staff who wish to have a go at SMT members in general.

I couldn't imagine logging on to an LA site to just spend my time moaning - despite serious provocation I'd rather have a real conversation with a real person than just moaning like a coward

11. AlongForTheRide

AlongForTheRide New commenter

I have to disagree with the original post - It's a generalisation and not all leadership teams are like that. Maybe it is true of the ones they have experienced, but since they cannot have experienced all leadership teams, they must be able to accept this may not be the case in all schools.
    I'm lucky enough to work in a school that has a fabulous Deputy and Head, whom all the staff like and respect. We may have a few grumbles now and again about extra things to do, but the extra things have never been on a whim or pointless.

12. AlongForTheRide

AlongForTheRide New commenter

Sorry it wasn't the original post I was disagreeing with - it was the views of 'newposter'.

13. I've yet to meet a head who can actually run a school effectively. Most are ill equipped and badly trained reactive sorts with no real passion for what they do. The ones I've had to engage with are rather poorly educated themselves sadly so what hope for the future?

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How very interesting to see these posts. Analytical intelligence clearly at work here.
    I would just like to ask these two posters: How do you know?
    Newposter - how do you know that senior managers are largely useless, too young, too inexperienced, etc?
    Jonowen - would you like to tell us on what evidence you are basing your assertion that this statement by NewPoster is true?
    So do tell us: How do you know?

15. The poster writing about the disconnect between SMT and classroom teachers has a point. Aside form that there are far too many people assuming their experience is the only one. I know some of us have had horrendous experiences with SMT, and even faculty heads, but in my experience there are arrange of people in senior management; from the truly inspirational, through quietly competent and bumbling but means well to the arrogant, ambitious and incompetent.

16. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Theo? Can I ask your opinion on my last post please?
    in my experience this happens frequently and
    this happens not often enough (imho)