1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SMT- New position, Teaching and Learning co-ordinator

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by AlliFoz, Aug 18, 2011.

1. I am hoping for a little advice and guidance. I was appointed as Teaching and Leaning co-ordinator in the last week of the Summer Term and apart from a very basic job spec I have been given very little guidance as to what I will be doing in September. As I see it, my main task is to work with staff to improve and embed T & L strategies and work with individual departments on agreed specific strategies. Does anyone have any direction/guidance in terms of further reading that I should be looking at?

I am also aware that I will be chairing a T&L working party on the first INSET day back and have had no experience of this before and tasks/workshop activities that could provide stimulation and enthusiasm. Any suggestions/

I eagerly await feedback and thank you i anticipation.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

When you applied for the post - and they interviewed you - what did you say you'd do?
    Do those things.

3. If it were only that simple. I applied for a different position but SMT felt that my skill base and experience would be better suited to this position so I didn't talk about what I would do in my interview.

4. So maybe you could dig into that skill base and experience. I agree with Middlemarch's sentiments that, appointed to the post and accepting the post, you should be able to come up with the ideas at that level.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

So you accepted a post and now don't know what to do?
    I expect SMT to be able to work unsupervised and without having to run to others for 'ideas'.

6. Dig out your school's last Ofsted report and see whether there are any specific areas mentioned that need improving eg: Afl, interactive lessons, pupil involvement etc...this could prove a good starting place - and could prove a fruitful area - this could be discussed and you could ask teams to feedback on what they have been working on and what needs doing. think about contacting your LA if there are any advisers left you might depending on your school get some words of wisdom. ?Think about reading some latest reads on teaching and learning see Amazon for suggestions this might have some interactive ideas - and a staff cpd library might be interesting. Pocketbooks have some little books that might give you some interactive ideas to kick off training...but really before you start you need to think about what you hope to achieve and the best way to do this.
    You will need to lead this and plan through if this is a new area to you - think about who is school might be a good sounding board or whether you need to address this in your own cpd. Good Luck[​IMG]