1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SMT Interview

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Revealer, May 13, 2011.

1. Revealer

Revealer New commenter

Hi all

I am going for an internal interview for a SMT position. I was wondering what type of questions to expect. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. More info would help. Key stage? Size of school? Grade of post? subjects to lead? Class too? Size of team to lead? Other roles eg pastoral? Etc.

3. Revealer

Revealer New commenter

Hi

It is a Special Needs Primary School for around 55 pupils with Autism. At the moment I am a Subject Leader for DT and ICT and teach all subjects to a Year 3 Class. The School have a SMT consisting of the Head, Deputy and 2 Senior managers.

Thanks

4. It will be about how you can apply what you have learned so far eg. how your subject leadership has impacted on standards across the school and how you'd like to apply this further or maybe to a core subject or senior pastoral responsibility. You'll need to consider all aspects of school life and how you might impact on areas. There may be a community element to the post, outreach to other schools, lots of paper work I'd imagine in your sector- how will you manage the increased workload(may ask this). Governors, parents, partner schools etc. To consider. Try and keep up to data on school standards & progress of all groups as well as latest stuff in ed press. It may be appropriiate to present something - might ask for this and hand things out if you can (not chocolates or hard currency!) keep your audience attentive. Be ready for anything but be clear about what you are about as a person and what drives you. Don't forget what you will need support with- bit of humble pie goes down well!

5. Revealer

Revealer New commenter

Thanks so much! [​IMG]

6. Revealer

Revealer New commenter

Thanks again for your help, I got the job today! [​IMG]

7. Brilliant and the sun is shining!