1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SMP up to 39 weeks??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by ninek, Feb 11, 2012.

1. ninek

ninek New commenter

Hi,

I'm due in June with baby number 2. I've just received the break down of my maternity pay entitlements from my local authority. I states that I will receive 10 weeks at either 90% or full pay then 20 weeks half pay. It says that after this the remainder of the maternity leave will be unpaid. I am confused as I remember from last time receiving SMP (around £120 a week) from 6 months until around 9 months (I was on slightly different terms then). Also I looked at the Directgov website today and it says that SMP is paid for up to 39 weeks.

My question is should I be receiving some money up to 39 weeks of maternity leave?

2. ninek

ninek New commenter

Hi,

I'm due in June with baby number 2. I've just received the break down of my maternity pay entitlements from my local authority. I states that I will receive 10 weeks at either 90% or full pay then 20 weeks half pay. It says that after this the remainder of the maternity leave will be unpaid. I am confused as I remember from last time receiving SMP (around £120 a week) from 6 months until around 9 months (I was on slightly different terms then). Also I looked at the Directgov website today and it says that SMP is paid for up to 39 weeks.

My question is should I be receiving some money up to 39 weeks of maternity leave?

3. you should get it for 39 weeks but where do you work to get 10 weeks full pay and 20 weeks half pay?! i want to work there!!

4. trish82

trish82 New commenter

Me too! Sign me up!!

5. I was under the impression that we got SMP to 39 weeks, if not then I cant afford to be off as long as I wanted to be and 12 months is a definite no no.
    Im due end of May and havent heard anything about my pay yet, should I chase this?
    Thanks T x

6. trish82

trish82 New commenter

Yes! I'm due 28th April and I wrote to my LEA in November to inform them of my pregnancy. I also wrote to them in Jan telling them the date I expect to go off. I've had a maternity pack through, letting me know my entitlements regarding pay/holiday accrual etc. By law, we recieve SMP up to the 39th week of Mat leave so don't worry in that respect.
    T

7. Thanks for this Trish, I'll chase HR when I return (I work in an academy which is part of a trust) as Im sure my rather more heavily pregnant colleague (she's due in March) has only just got hers and as they lost my maternity leave request letter that I gave them in December, I should be more on their case!
    Glad to hear about the SMP - just need the finer details now so I can plan accordingly instead of saying to myself "definitely 6 months, probably 9 months, hopefully 12 months!".
    T

8. trish82

trish82 New commenter

Shouldn't we all! With a million and one things to do before the birth, it's easy to lose track of the 'to do' list...everything seems to be at the top of the priority list, but nothing seems to get done!!!
    10 more weeks to go (and only 8 of them teaching!!)
    Trish

9. 15 weeks for me today and 12 1/2 teaching (but 1 is this week and 2 will be Easter, yay!). Cant believe how quickly it seems to be coming around now, the to do list doesnt seem to be shifting, arrggh!

10. ninek

ninek New commenter

Hi all,

Many thanks for the confirmation about the law stating that SMP is for 39 weeks. That's exactly what I thought. I'm looking forward to (and very appreciative of) decent maternity pay this time. Last time round I missed the criteria for the full entitlement by a couple of weeks so had a very different package but I still managed to stretch to staying off for one year. I'm also looking forward to not forking out £1000 a month for child care for my son!

11. ninek it could be that they have got it wrong (certainly if you are working in a state school the full pay half pay bit sounds far more than burgandy book entitlements!). Also, if you are a 'cetegory B' i.e. been employed continuously but not in same employer (think this means same LA different schools etc) the end part of the pay is called MA not SMP and this is from a different source so potentially whilst it is the same for you in effect it may not say it on your occupational pay letter.
    I may be totally wrong - I have only ever been entitled to MA so occupational pay a bit of a minefield I haven't navigated for myself.

12. *category A, whoops!