1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Smoking

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ShowerGel, Mar 18, 2012.

1. My grandmother died of COPD last October. She had smoked for 65 years, only giving up 6 years ago after being hospitalised many times with chest infections-she actually lived a lot longer than we had all expected her to but the last 18 months of her life were spent on an oxygen cylinder up to 22 hours a day. She hated it and used to say how helpless she felt and how much of a burden she thought she was to her family. My brother gave up smoking 2 years ago with the help of the Alan Carr book and hasn't looked back since-he doesn't even crave one when he is around friends that smoke now. I am sorry to hear about your husband, Belle Du Jour.

2. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Filthy habit. One of the kids in my class complained about a smelly TA yesterday. Fair comment.

3. 6 years non smoker in two weeks. After the first three weeks was easy! Massively anti smoking now.

4. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

Both of my parents died before their time...not completely due to smoking but I'm sure it didn't help. I and my o/h smoked too but gave up completely about 4 years ago...I am the fittest (but also the fattest) I have ever been - working on the 'fattest' thing!!! I have to say it is the best thing I have ever done. [​IMG]

5. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Still smoking - trouble is, I'm grouchy enough as it is and if I stop I fear I'll snap at the wrong person at work in the wrong context at the wrong time. Maybe once I don't have to negotiate a political minefield every other day.

6. lasketchup

lasketchup New commenter

I'm still smoking. I've tried patches, Alan Carr and the doctor's surgery, but have slipped back into it eaech time. I'm thinking of trying hypnotherapy in the hope of rewiring my brain somehow. One of the problems I have when I have stopped before (I'ev stopped for 6 months in the past) is that I don't feel any better for it: no richer, no healthier, no more energetic. I like smoking, which I think is the major stumbling block.

7. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

What is it you like about smoking? Is the actual smoking or is it the relief from withdrawal effects that a fag gives you?
    My Mum had a near fatal heart attack at the age of 46 (it would have been fatal if my sister, who was training to be a nurse at the time, hadn't recognised the early signs). Her only risk factor for heart disease was smoking.
    Is that risk worth whatever enjoyment you get?

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

No you don't. It is filthy, smelly, antisocial and harmful to your health and your bank balance.
    You only think you like it because that is what addiction means. You smoke just to feel normal, whether you like it or not. When you smoke your brain releases endorphins...........feel good chemicals............that make you go 'ahhhhhhhhh' and you feel relaxed. That is because, starved of nicotine, your brian kicks up and makes you edgy and a bit stressed. So you smoke and give your brain the nicotine it craves and it rewards you with enorphins. No smoke, no endorphins, feel BAD!
    Non-smokers do not need to smoke as our brains to not kick up a fuss at the lack of nicotine. It's like wearing uncomfortable shoes and going 'ahhhhh' when you take them off. If you hadn't put them on in the first place you would not need to take them off to feel relief. If you don't smoke, you don't need to smoke to feel that relief.
    Foul habit.
    And thanks all who sent best wishes to Mr Belle. He is naughty though and does not necessarily manage his condition as best he can, but he's going on a pulmonary rehabilitation course soon, so that should help. Fortunately he's not good with medical stuff, and scared if anything might be wrong (ostrich syndrome!) so he won't Google COPD which is, IMO a good thing.

9. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

The only way I ever gave up before was will power. Tried nicotine gum, the spray stuff and they didn't work. I think it is mainly the physical habits that are difficult to get rid of. I have gone a week without a cigarette when travelling on business, or three or four days when being interviewed then shown around my new job (not because I didn't want them to know I smoke, rather there was no opportunity to do so). The nicotine you get over in a few days, the feeling that something is missing when sitting having a drink with mates, or having a cup of coffee (two times that I always smoke) is strange.
    When I visit the UK or Europe, I tend to smoke very little comparatively as all the pubs and a lot of public places are non-smoking and my friends are not smokers so I do not smoke in their houses.
    Sadly, the laws here in SA are rather strange to say the least so when it is baking outside, it is much better to sit in the smoking section of the pub as it has to be separate from the entrance (so sitting outside and smoking is banned) meaning it is usually inside and well air-conditioned. The same goes for cafes where the insufferable trendies tend to be outside and the better place to be is inside where it is cooler.
    Last two times I gave up were 3 months a time, as I said before, once the workplace becomes less of a minefield, I may try again.

10. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

I know this worry only too well. You do feel grouchy in the first couple of weeks - I used patches and the NHS group to stop. The joy of the group was we all had the same withdrawal at the same time. We emailed each other saying how we were eating 6 bags of Revels etc.
    Feeling grouchy goes.
    Pack up during the hols
    I'm a group person. I love hearing how I'm not the only one feeling like s h it. In the group trained smoking people tell you just about everything there is to know about smoking which I though very good.
    It took me longer than 6 months to feel better.
    This is normal and they tell you in the group.
    For most people, including myself, it usually takes more that one attempt to stop but we do only ever live one day at a time anyway smoker or chocoholic.

11. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Nobody likes smoking. All you're doing is topping up the nicotine levels in your body with each fag. When you stop your body withdraws and then returns to it's normal state which is no nicotine and the cravings stop.
    I look at people and know all they're doing is topping up their nicotine levels.
    Once I understood this it was easy although I'm never complacent as I know many people who have returned to smoking and know it could be me in 5 minutes time.

12. Yes, I suppose I am. [​IMG]

13. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Your post has scared me a little, BDJ. A relative of mine takes Tramadols (and co-codamol) as if they were smarties. I have commented on it before, but they get very defensive. I think I will look into the long-term effects and try to have another chat...

14. Out of the mouths of babes... It is certainly more noticeable now that fewer people seem to smoke - not sure about the figures... but it's my impression.