1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Smoking

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ShowerGel, Mar 18, 2012.

1. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Established commenter

I stopped smoking just over 3 years ago. If anyone would like to know how please ask and I'll tell you.
    I've just been to the shop and someone bought cigs. which made me glance at the price of 20......
    Nearly £7.00! I'm still thinking 'have I got that wrong - did I not look properly?'
    That's £200.00 per month at the usual 20 per day.
    I feel astounded

2. ShowerGel

I stopped smoking just over 3 years ago. If anyone would like to know how please ask and I'll tell you.
    I've just been to the shop and someone bought cigs. which made me glance at the price of 20......
    Nearly £7.00! I'm still thinking 'have I got that wrong - did I not look properly?'
    That's £200.00 per month at the usual 20 per day.
    I feel astounded

3. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Congratulations on giving up smoking and sticking with it x

4. ShowerGel

Thank you choco

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Go on then...

6. ShowerGel

I went to a NHS stop smoking group. On the 3rd session we all had to stop using patches or whatever aid we each chose, plus we had to support each other in groups of 3 by emailing or phoning each day. After this we had 5 more sessions. I'm still in touch with one of my support trio.
    It worked for me.
    Are you smoking modelmaker?

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Yes, just about to light the last one before I go to bed.

8. ShowerGel

Have you read Alan Carr - The Easy Way to Stop Smoking where he explains that it's just an addiction?

9. 6 years ago my wife had quite a bad asthma attack which necessitated her hospilisation. Whilst sitting with her, prior to admittance to a ward, we saw men and women younger than us trailing oxygen cylinders around with them ,literally coughing their lungs up. From that day on neither Mrs.B nor I have had a ciggy. I now consider myself a non smoker and depise all nicotene slaves. ;¬))
    Mrs. B. sometimes fancies a tab but realises both the health and the financial implications of giving in.
    Give it up MM . You do smell, you know.

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Mr Belle gave up smoking when he met me over three years ago. He went to a hypnotherapist on Harley Street. Cost him £375. He had just the one session and hasn't smoked since. Reckons he got his money back in 6-8 weeks of not smoking. He hasn't missed it at all.
    Sadly though he had been a heavy smoker for over 40 years, and last year was diagnosed with COPD as a consequence of smoking. COPD is degenerative, there is no cure and even though he has stopped smoking the disease will get progressively worse. He can get breathless just sitting still doing nothing. It's not nice. He wishes he'd never started smoking.

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

My mother (who regularly smoked [or, rather, lit] up to 40 a day) had hypnotherapy. It worked until people asked her how she had stopped smoking, whereupon she dragged it all into her "conscious" mind and it failed to work!
    O/h smoked 20/day when we met, In late 1989/early 1990, tax on cigarettes was put up a lot: I recall ringing him at work ("ciggies going up £1 from midnight - do you want me to go and buy you a load?") and he decided then and there to stop! He has had the occasional 1 when under extreme stress (eg our wedding day) since, but otherwise, he managed to go cold turkey!
    Sorry to hear about Mr B, Belle xxxx

12. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

so sorry to hear that-not a pleasant thing to have.

13. Sorry to hear about it but I'll smoke till i die. I celebrate non smoking day with a king size

14. ShowerGel

Do you know what it's like not to smoke though outstandingwinger?
    How can you have an opinion until you have experienced both?
    You sound fearful indeed

15. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

It's beyond me why anyone smokes.

It looks stupid
    It costs a fortune
    It makes you stink
    It kills you

16. It also ages you - wrinkles, dull hair & skin and tooth loss.

17. Indeed, both my parents were heavy smokers, started when it wasn't considered bad for you, and both died at 68/69 years old. They left four children and ten grandchildren, whom they adored and would loved to have shared their wisdom and love with.
    Give it up :(

18. ShowerGel

people smoke because they're addicted to nicotine - it's that simple.
    Like any addiction it's hard at first to stop. Once you have stopped for a while you begin to notice the benefits. If anyone here would like to stop send me a message and we can chat or lets carry on here.

19. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Okay, I'll edit:

20. vannie

vannie Star commenter

My mum died last thursday from COPD.
    She had a bad case of whooping cough when she was a little girl and smoked for 30 years.
    She was 66 when she died and hadn't lit up for a good 15 years.
    Both my brother and myself smoke and both of us are seeking smoking cessation treatment
    from our doctors.
    It's a hideous thing and i hate myself for stil doing it.