1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

smoking

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, May 23, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

I have an urge to try home smoking - has/does anyone done/do it?
    I have some trout I fancy smoking - any tips?

H
    x

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

I have an urge to try home smoking - has/does anyone done/do it?
    I have some trout I fancy smoking - any tips?

H
    x

3. LOL, I was about to offer you a John Player Special!
    I am afraid I have never smoked (food) - I have angler friends who smoke my fish for me.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Gave it up years ago, never tried trout, Marlboro were enough for me!!

Sorry couldn't resist it! Believe you can do it in a wok, look on youtube or the BBC Food.

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

I was planning the wok, lined with foil probably, but wondered about what I should smoke it over and where I would get that medium?
    Do I just go for a walk and pull some branches down?????

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Think you can use wood chips, sometimes mixed with Earl Grey tea. Look in a garden centre or try a search.

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

8. No, you use wood chips or "smoking flour", which you can buy. For trout my angler friends use beech or alder.
    However, they often go on about "cold smoking" and "hot smoking" and I am totally lost on that.

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

Thanks CQ, that was what I thought.

I have just ordered some oak sawdust from amazon - hot-smoked trout at the weekend!!

10. If it works in the wok, do give us a feedback, as I could be tempted to try myself (mind you, only tempted, seeing as I have friends who do it for me!).
    I would be interested to know a) what it tastes like and b) if your house stinks for days...

11. anon468

anon468 New commenter

We were so close to buying a home smoker last year (they sell them in Orvis, a leading fishing tackle/apparel/mullarkey shop in the UK, although I believe it's actually an American firm).
    Like CQ though, we are lucky enough to know a man who can take anything (and I mean anything - cheese, garlic, chicken, fish) and smoke it for us for nowt.
    Smoked hake is the business.

12. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I'm sure MM had a thread on home smoking in the early days of this forum- might be worth a search.

13. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Fame at last! I'll save you the trouble of searching.
    There are 2 basic smoking techniques, hot smoking and cold smoking. I've only hot smoked food with improvised kitchen equipment which consists of a Dutch oven and a wire collandar that neatly sits on the rim of the pot and allows the lid to sit inside the collandar. I wrap the smoking medium in foil, pierce a few holes in it and sit it at the bottom of the pot with the food oviously in the collandar. Put it on the hob and wait for the smoke. It will make the kitchen smell of smoke a bit but it soon clears. I have the extractor going full blast.
    This article explains hot smoking in more detail: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/apr/24/home-smoking-recipes-hugh-fearnley-whittingstall
    Cold smoking is a longer process that I suspect is preferable for things like cheese, fish and vegetables. You can buy the equipment but personally, I'm make my own or improvise as it's more satisfying to get something for nothing other than ingenuity.
    These people sell the equipment, and if you watch the video you'll see the process is all very straight-forward and you could easilly cobble up something yourself if you fancied having a go. http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/ColdSmoking.html