1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Smoker bags

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon468, Jul 3, 2011.

1. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Feedback on the smoker bag, as promised.
    The bag was a lot bigger than I had expected - could easily have fitted 4 good fillets of sea trout in there. Very, very easy to use and more detailed cooking instructions (plus a selection of recipies) was found on the inside of the packaging.
    The fish cooked beautifully and was nice and moist with a very delicate smoky flavour. No mess - just scrunch the bag up and bin it.
    The only thing that might be a bit off putting for some is the very noticeable smoky aroma that will linger in your kitchen and adjacent rooms afterwards.
    Here's the manufacturer's homepage:
    http://www.savu.fi/in_english.iw3

2. Sound very good indeed! Henriette might find that interesting - she was asking about smoking a short while back!

3. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Would you like a try? I can get a couple for you to take back home (v light and flat).
    Warning though - my kitchen still pongs like a smokehouse... [​IMG]

4. aye!
    My flat stinks of nicotine anyway, lol. A bit of smoke won't make any difference, tee hee.

5. I am bringing you some roast spelt btw. I need someone (and you did offer!) to give it a try and spread the word. Recipes will be included.
    You poor mite (D. will say it is budgie food!)

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Indeedy....wouldn't mind a couple myself!
    Am still busy menu planning. Got a far as something to do with lamb, then panacotta/creme brullee/berries type pudding..............oh and a baked camembert!
    The gym is avaiable post-prandial weight loss should you feel the urge (not!)

7. As a non parent I would have agreed with you - but I have a nephew!,
    As a toddler he ate everything, garlic stuffed olives, anchovies, anything. We found he loved strong cheddar cheese with salt crystals, Climber used to take some when we visited, he loves it too.
    Then at about 13 nephew suddenly changed. The only cheese he would eat came in a foil packet and was called cheese strings! He's 20 now... and much the same!
    I despair!

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Belle! The penny has just dropped. Gawd, I'm slow. [​IMG]

9. BelleDuJour

Clunk!
    Awww....manashee......no, your cocktail will be sweet and full of fun! Either that or we'll sink a bottle of Bolly!
    [​IMG]

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

Yes, you are both right!
    Manashee, if you can spare me one I'd love it and, yes, I am planning to be at Belle Towers - but as I will be driving and at school next day I will have to be a spoilsport and not sample B's cocktails [​IMG]

11. BelleDuJour

I shall create a non-alcoholic version for you H! I shall name it 'Laughing Hen' as you are always smiling! [​IMG]

12. Oooh! the 19th is turning into a meet!! What time do you want us? And can we bring the dog(s) Otherwise I'll try to get a sitter. xx

13. BelleDuJour

7pm Kinsa, as Henriette cannot stay too late, but the rest of you lushes can stay as long as you like!
    Dog is welcome, but I will warn the cats [​IMG]
    I shall be cooking a trio of soups (white onion, carrot and ginger, nettle and rosemary - or spinach if I can't find nice nettles), followed by butterfly leg of lamb with mint pesto, oven baked ratatouille and couscous, then orange roulade with strawberries in rose wine. Oh...and I shall slip in a baked camembert or two.
    It is a mini cookery meet!
    Can't wait.
    Mr Belle is rather excited too.......not good for his blood pressure these days! He has put the champagne in the fridge already. Silly man.....he expects it to still be there on 19th?

14. Yes, warn them to behave themselves next time! Menu sounds fab. Beans on toast here on Wed 20th!

15. BelleDuJour

hahahahahahaha [​IMG]
    and you expect me to believe you? [​IMG]

16. anon468

anon468 New commenter

*faints with excitement* [​IMG]
    Poor Mr manny will be at home eating beans on toast. Well, it is his own fault!
    Henriette, no problem re the smoker bags. Again, just to warn you the smell really does linger, so get the windows open and the extractor fan going. You can also use them on the barbeque, so if you don't want a very aromatic kitchen, this is a good solution.

17. henriette

henriette New commenter

Thanks. I'll look forward to trying them.
    Menu sounds brill, Belle - can I contribute anything?

18. BelleDuJour

Just your lovely self H as it's a school night [​IMG]

19. I don't want to destroy your illusions, but if she is anything like my gannet of a daughter, she will be starving by 6 months on just breast milk. I had to give in and add ground rice to a bottle of milk at about 4 months!
    Don't worry - she will still eat all sorts of fruit and veg when you do wean her!
    There are lots of theories and the only thing to remember is that none of them work - I was told if I gave my daugther the bottle, she would no longer take the breast. As it was my second kid, I didn't listen and what happened - she still took the breast [​IMG]

20. Mr Kinsa has just said :'Oh, I've just realised it's not this coming Monday your Northern Ladyboy friend is coming.' He's been looking up recipes, making shopping and preparation list and goodness knows what else! Still, as he sagely remarked: all this stuff you can prepare in advance is excellent - as long as you remember to do it! Luckily we haven't got a fridge full of stuff a week early.