1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

smoked garlic

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by A_Teacher_Of_Computing, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Garlic bread made with smoked garlic is wonderful :)

2. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

It doesn't really taste any different from other garlic, to be honest, so use it as you would any garlic. The smoking is just a means of helping its long-term conservation in damp climates. Garlic grown and harvested in warmer climes is never smoked.

3. It does taste different, I love smoky flavours and I can taste the difference.

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Aioli.

Just do it.

5. I agree with landaise - there is no real difference in taste.
    It is just a way of preserving it.
    It is not the same as say, smoked paprika.
    You can just use it as you would use normal garlic (perhaps YOU will taste a difference!)

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I would disagree very slightly with the naysayers and say that it does have a very light smoked taste but it's not particularly strong. It smells a lot stronger than it tastes.
    I don't buy it myself as the smokiness is really not that strong and makes very little difference to a cooked dish.
    I once used some to stuff a roast chicken and found that we couldn't taste any smoke at all. I havenb't bought any since.
    On a similar theme, has anyone ever bought black garlic? It's interesting stuff. It's fermented for 3 weeks and then dried and is a very black colour indeed. It has a mild garlic taste, as roast garlic does, with a hit of molasses sugar and a suggestion of balsamic vinegar.
    I bought a bulb and have tasted a clove on its own and it's certainly interesting. Quite soft and chewy. I suspect the best thing to do with it is just spread on bread and eat it as it is but wondered if anyone has ever done anything with it.

[​IMG]