1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Smiley faces

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by emmarugby, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Just been reading lots of the post ect and thought I'd see if there's anyone else really enjoying GTP as I think the forums can get quiet negative and I know it worried me when I was going into the course.
    I'm into my second placement now and after worrying a little that they'd chew me up I'm having another amazing experience. So if your not having such a great time SMILE, you've obviously picked the job for a reason and if your enjoying it or thinking about a GTP then YEAHY, SMILEY teachers all round.

2. Just been reading lots of the post ect and thought I'd see if there's anyone else really enjoying GTP as I think the forums can get quiet negative and I know it worried me when I was going into the course.
    I'm into my second placement now and after worrying a little that they'd chew me up I'm having another amazing experience. So if your not having such a great time SMILE, you've obviously picked the job for a reason and if your enjoying it or thinking about a GTP then YEAHY, SMILEY teachers all round.

3. I'm loving it too :)

4. Thanks for your positvity. I have just heard I have an interview for Primary GTP and thought I would check on the forums for advice on interviews and to discover how others are getting on. I want to be a SMILEY teacher and although I am very aware of the difficulties of the role, I am going to do my very best to enjoy training as a teacher. I am so keen to train, I have applied for the PGCE as well as back-up and already got a place. I would really like to do the GTP however as I have done a degree in Educational Studies, so feel the GTP would give me the valuable school experience that will hopefully bridge the theory and practice. Enjoy the rest of your GTP!

5. It's by no means easy, and I have very little spare time, but I'm loving it!
    Now half way through my second placement, I can see how/where I am improving, and where I need to improve more, and am looking forwards to getting back to 'my' classes at my main placement!

6. I am thoroughly enjoying my GTP, it's hands on learning, can be tiring and tough, but you get a chance to reflect and quickly adapt/change your own style and methods to find what suits you and the class. I am doing mine through Derby Uni and the team there are enthusiastic about learning and teaching and that makes it even better. So yes, I'd say smiles all round.

7. Its hard work and I keep coming home knackered but I love it. Teaching has definitely been the right career choice - hopefully I'll still be able to say that in 20 years! :)

8. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

I love going to work, love planning lessons, love learning from my mistakes, and am thoroughly enjoying it. It was definitely the right choice for me :)

9. Wow! This is very different from the rest of the GTP scare-mongery on here. I cant wait to start mine.

10. So nice to hear positive things about GTP. For those of us who aren't on it can you tell what an average day is like workload wise?

11. I did the GTP last year and now I have a lovely class of my own. Just wait guys, if you're smiling now then you'll be beaming next year![​IMG]

12. Typically I'm inschool for 7:30am preparing resources etc for lessons, then straight through to lunch with time for a brew if I'm lucky. Lunch is usually 20 mins then prepare for the afternoon. School end at 3:15pm, then it's marking, evaluations, tutor meetings etc until 5:30ish. Once home I then usually work from 9 to 11pm. I also end up doing quite a bit on Sundays too. Haf terms aren't much of a holiday and I did quite a bit over Christmas as well.
    It is physically and mentally tiring, but I'm finding it easier as I get better at planning and managing my time. Having said all that, I too am loving every minute of it. If it really is what you want to do you will manage to fit it all in - just go in with your eyes open!

13. Leaving the hours of 5.30 - 9 free to actually eat and watch Eastenders presumably? [​IMG]
    That is an incredible workload , but I guess, if its a job I really want to do then i have got to put in the hours. Thanks for the insight!
    How helpful and supportive are the mentors and fellow teachers?

14. 5:30-9 is time with my children!
    I've sone other jobs with a far lighter workload, but hated every minute of it! If it's right for you the workload won't be a problem. Also, I'm reliably informed that it does prepare you very well for your NQT year.
    My school is very supportive - they set high standards and I am striving to meet them. Feedback is never anything but constructive and I feel like I am learning all the time.

15. I am also LOVING the GTP. Never thought I would feel this happy and enthused in any job...let alone one that is so intensive in terms of workload. However, my schedule seems lighter than other replies.

Average day is as follows:

7.45 - Arrive at school to check emails and prepare resources.
    8.15 - Morning staff briefing
    8.30 - Register my tutor group
    8.50 - 10.50 - Periods 1 and 2.
    Break - SACRED TIME - I always try to go to the staffroom for a chat and a giggle, even if it's only for 2 mins.
    11.10 - 1.10 - Period 3 and 4
    Lunch - Will spend about 10/15 mins preparing final lesson and doing jobs etc then to the staffroom.
    2.00 - 3.00 - Period 5
    3pm - End of the day. 15 mins to sort out any more jobs and then after-school drama club starts. OR...I catch up with course work and planning.
    4.30 - 5.00 - Leave school
    Can sometimes work at home up until 7pm if planning needs doing. After 7pm is more SACRED TIME. hehe.

I've loved my GTP so far. I love teaching and can feel myself improving and love the feeling of getting quite good! If i was to give advice on the key to feeling like this, i would personally say it is down to three things:
    1. If a lesson is difficult...breathe...learn...and take comfort from the fact you know when it'll end!
    2. Use free periods at school wisely. This may mean compiling a to-do list and being able to say no to things that you cannot take on.
    3. It has to be my SACRED TIME. I will only give this time up on extreme cricumstances. I think it's so important to just take time to relax, chat, laugh, and/or enjoy time with family and friends.

16. Is this the difference between primary and secondary?

17. I am also loving my GTP! Yes there is often negative comments on this forum - people saying how they have got upset and cried at least once etc. Personally, I've never felt that way - i'm having a wonderful time![​IMG]

18. I am really enjoying it too. I have come from an aviation background where I worked for over 20 years. I am also a single mum of a 9 year old. I find it incredibly hard work, however I absolutely love being in the classroom and working with the students. I am in secondary school and absolutely wouldn' swap it.
    My mentor is excellent, as are the staff in the school generally.
    [​IMG]