1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

smear test

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Dec 20, 2010.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I did.

Tell her what you think she should do, but accept that she may not act on it quickly - nerves get in the way!

2. countrybumpkin

countrybumpkin New commenter

Did you tell them you were a virgin at the time?
    I think this is what is worrying her.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

No. Neither did she ask.

4. You don't have to mention whether you are virgin or promiscuous.
    And they will not be able to tell she is a virgin, not in this day and age and even if, the doctor would not say anything about it.
    Go and hold her hand xxx

5. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I am 25 and earlier today I had my first smear test.

The only questions the nurse asked me were if I was on any oral contraceptives and when my last period was.

6. Do you mean that she is concerned about them tearing her hymen? A lot of the Asian girls at our school won't go for smears (or use tampons) for that reason.

7. countrybumpkin

I didn't know that they wouldn't be able to tell? Out of interest how not?
    I think that will reassure her and I hope it gets her there. She is such a sweet girl and has such a tough time with her folks.

8. countrybumpkin

I don't think she's worried about this. I think she's worried she'll be judged for being a virgin. She is a bit embarrased about this and as much as I tell her it's not a problem she doesn't believe me!

9. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

She will be fine!

I was really nervous about going today and expected to be asked loads of questions about my sexual experiences, but honestly she didn't even go near the subject.

10. If she has used tampons, her hymen is unlikely to be intact.
    And anyway, they are not going to ask her.

11. Judged????
    How depressing is that? 19 years old, single, and choosing not to have a penetrative sexual relationship. The mere fact that she feels she might be thought in some way odd is a sad comment on this society.

12. I had my first smear test at 18 - mainly because of the reputation of the city i'm from and the number of teenage pregnancies, all girls are invited to at that age. I had the smear test and was a virgin. I've had it every 3 years since. When I had it, the nurse (knowing my entire family) did ask me why I was so nervous, and I explained that I was a Virgin and didn't understand why I had to have it. She said that I didn't need to but it is best to get checked out just in case.
    She can disclose as much or as little as she wants. I'd advise her to have it for peace of mind. Yes, it's awful at the best of times, even more so in a way when you know you don't need to have it done, but seeing the 'normal' letter does make it worthwhile...and even if you don't, at least you know now rather than later when it's possibly too late.

13. Just goes to show how different PCTs operate.
    I couldn't have a smear test until I was 25.

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

A new twist on a seasonal theme.
    Remember to tell her not to wear a blue tablecloth or arrive on a donkey.
    Seriously - it will be the first of many embarrassing events that make up being a woman, but she should have it done.

15. If you had a family history, you'd be more likely to. I had one before the age of 25 for various reasons even though the PCT policy (I think pretty much everywhere) is not to do routine smears before then (because of the higher chance of a borderline result leading to unnecessary further investigations).

16. I don't quite know what this says about me, but the first time I had sex with someone it was very special, loving and wonderful and to be penetrated by a speculum before I'd have had sex I think would have been a bit sad for me. I realise that she'll still be a virgin afterwards of course, but it is so intrusive and I wonder how it might affect her when she does find someone she wants to have sex with.

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

i think it says you're rather sentimental and on this occasion ( sp?) it might be misplaced.

18. Health before sentiments IMO.

19. It is far less intrusive than sex, imo.

20. countrybumpkin

I totally agree.