1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Smash the Patriarchy and Chill" he says...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Brings a gun into his child's Primary school:

Police bodycam video released showing fatal shooting of parent at Oregon school
    NBCnews.com, 25th January 2019.

The police bodycam footage is available, as is footage of protesters outside the school demanding that the police be disarmed.

It is unfortunate that this man is dead but had the police not been armed then how many more might be dead.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

The result of toxic masculinity, as is often the case.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Struggling to understand why people protested the police....

Guess it's just instinctive now.

4. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

This is what happens when there are so few limits on gun ownership.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Interesting thing is...

We get told that a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun... and here with have the proof... two good guys with guns stopped a bad guy with a gun.

And nothing... it'll be forgotten so fast. In fact people protested the police... they protested the good guys for stopping a school shooting.

Insane.

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You're spending too much time agreeing with artboyusa.

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

if he hadn't been able to buy a gun he might be alive today.

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

And if this guy hadn't had access to guns, 5 people would be alive today.
    Unless there's going to be an armed police-person outside everyone's house, such things will keep on happening.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47017821
    Louisiana shootings: Five killed and suspect at large

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And?

I don't recall saying otherwise...but that is a 'might have been'. Reality is he was stopped.

The officers should be praised. Not be protested.

10. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

People don't want guns in their children's school. I don't think that's too hard to understand.
    Ironically, Landeros seems to have seen himself as a "good guy with a gun" or certainly someone who needed a gun to defend himself. Perhaps if the situation hadn't been escalated by the arrival of armed police things could have been different. This isn't a school shooting in the sense of someone walking into a school ready to shoot anyone and everyone. Landeros draws the gun outside the school building, after he has been pushed into a wall and told he is under arrest.
    I think there are questions to ask about how the police deal with confrontational situations. It's made more complex by the genuine concern that many of the public they are being asked to police may be carrying guns. That threat makes it more likely and more reasonable that the police would go for a forceful response rather than looking to calm the situation.
    A custody disagreement over school enrolment shouldn't be fatal.

11. Vince_Ulam

Due to the presence of the police, yet Landeros showed himself willing to kill people with a gun for which it was not clear he held a concealed carry permit. Had he such he would know to make any police officer with whom he was interacting aware that he was carrying a concealed gun. He did not. Instead he tried to kill two police officers in the lawful course of their duties.

At least one of these police officers was a school resource officer who had been called in anticipation of Landeros' arrival. The police were there for the protection of the children and the staff against Landeros' arrival, and a good thing too.

On school property, where children are still present.

The range of legitimate responses to being arrested by a police officer is not to pull a gun and attempt to kill them.

Not in this instance.

Nor was any here. Landeros' own actions led to his unfortunate demise.

monicabilongame likes this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Wow... just wow...

The presence of armed police was the problem. If only the guy with the gun had been allowed to walk around freely.

Wow...

13. colpee

colpee Star commenter

??
    An investigation following the shooting found that Landeros was carrying an extra magazine with ammunition on Landeros' belt and another in the car, authorities said. Landeros was also wearing a backpack which contained additional ammunition,

14. Vince_Ulam

I would not be surprised if Landeros was planning to abduct his daughter and, via fantasy, expected a running gun battle with police.

Tragically, his daughter can be heard calling him as he is firing his gun at police.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I thought it was worth saying in the interests of gun control.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

But before any policemen had drawn guns. They were arresting him, he resisted and then began shooting. If he hadn't had the gun he wouldn't have been able to start shooting and may have picked up cuts and bruises to claim against. I live with armed policemen on duty; if I argue with one about some incident they don't pull their guns out and wave them at me.

17. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

If they hadn't been a man, they would be alive today.

18. Vince_Ulam

Landeros' personal pronoun preference is irrelevant.

19. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Unfortunately we can never know what his intentions were.

20. Vince_Ulam

I doubt they were good. Who goes on a school run almost literally loaded for bear?