1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Smartboard help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 1 45, Aug 27, 2011.

1. This might sound stupid but I had a smartboard put in my room and was told to get on with it. Well I'm not afraid of technology but I'm not sure I'm getting the most out of it.
    What do you use yours for? What is great on it? And what questions do I need to ask to find out things about it?
    I use PPT alot because I am good at doing things on that. Why is Smart better? Or isn't it?
    Thanks for any help and ideas!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I use Powerpoints a lot as they will work on a Smartboard /Promethean whatever and they do have the addition of being able to use things which the others don't bit then something like the spotlight tool they don't do (unless someone can show me how!).
    The great advantage is the Interactive whiteboards are exactly that -interactive and the chidren get to come up to the board and move items around.
    I'm still learning to use mine-on supply one doesn't always get the opportunity and when I've been in school for extended periods of time, I've used it for my planning putting up my daily/ weekly focus/ success criteria,as well as keeping a running record of what we do in class.
    I still like to have a normal whiteboard as well but they really are a great tool.

3. porker

porker New commenter

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Look at the smart notebook software that ought to be on your laptop. Lots of good resources on there.

5. Thanks for the link Porker I will spend some time looking at that.
    Anyone else got anything else that they do that they find really useful?

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Give a child the job of orientating the board every time they come in (morning, after breaks, after assembly, after lunch, etc). Just having a class trampling in and out jigs it out of place.

7. That's a good one. I've moved rooms this year and the floor is much more stable. In my last room it felt like the sprung floor we had when I did gymnastics. The projector just bounced around.

8. inq

inq

I use mine all the while and try to use it interactively rather than just as a page for writing on.
    Things the children like (mine are Y1)
    1. Writing and seeing if it is neat enough for the computer to read (click on what they've written, click the drop down arrow, it will show what it thinks you've written, choose the best option and it changes to typing)

2. What shape is this? Before a lesson. Use the shape tool on the tool bar to draw and rotate a shape, click on the blind, gradually pull it down, what shapes could this be - children draw all of the shapes they think it could be e.g. a right angle point up could be a triangle, square, rectangle etc I gradually reveal more and the children have to explain why it is/. isn't the shapes they've drawn. I normally do 4 or 5 and use as a mental oral starter.

3. Use the magic pen (pen with stars on tool bar) write a word, children look at it after a few seconds it disappears and the children try and write it on their whiteboard.

4. Using the animation tool - have a keyword written on the board, once correctly and at least once incorrectly, sort the animation so children come and tap incorrect word and it vanishes - type in the word, select it, click on drop down arrow, choose animations, choose disappear when clicked (can't remember exact wording).

5. Magic box - (needs doing before a lesson) Draw and fill a black square and lock it in place. Outside of the box type a question (5 + 3 or a word you want the plural of) and underneath in white the answer, get a child to choose a question, all write the answer on a little whiteboard, you can then drag the question onto the box and the answer appears.

Some of these are easier to show than explain. Have you downloaded the SMART software onto your laptop/ computer so you can prepare things at home? If you want me to send a SMART file with some of these ideas on so you can see how they work send me an e-mail address - I love my SMART board!

9. Lara mfl 05

Oh thank you for the link and lovely ideas inq. I'd no idea how much I was missing!

10. inq

inq

Post or message me an e-mail address and I'll send a file of pages with ideas on.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sounds fabulous...it is ages since I had a working smartboard, so much has improved. I'm going to LOVE it this year!

And thank you to inq for the resources.

12. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

Ok, so this might sound like a silly question...
    What do you need on your laptop to be able to plan and prepare Smartboard stuff at home? I have a school laptop, but it is VERY old so I do all my planning on my personal Dell laptop. Do I need software from school that goes with the school Smartboard license in order to prepare stuff or can I download it free from somewhere? I know our school PC's have it but I want to be able to prepare stuff at home. I have had some Smartboard training, but haven't used it to its full potential for the last 2 years as I've been in Foundation (I'm moving to Year3/4 in Sept).
    Thanks

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'm reasonably sure that the software is free to download from their website. No licence required, as far as I'm aware.
    I guess the reasoning is that there's not much point in having the software unless you already have the hardware...

14. Lara mfl 05

As a supply I've had similar problems. yes there is a 30 day download available from smartboard but if you're in a school with your own classroom, you can input your Smartboard number in and register it and then it's not just a trial. The number is located either underneath or on the side of your board.

15. This is worth a look for maths resources.
    http://iwbmaths.co.uk

16. The school licence for Smart Notebook software will cover you to install it to work on your own laptop.
    Licence details
    http://smarttech.com/supportlink/issue2/SupportLink-2009-11-Focus1.html
    You can download the software here for a 30 day trial, but you'll need the activation key from your technician at school to use it beyond that.
    http://smarttech.com/us/Support/Browse+Support/Download+Software

17. I'm on a roll now.
    The software can be (and in my opinion should be) installed on all machines in school. It has some natty features which are very under used including being able to insert flash movies and animations whch you can then annotate, but better still, to record what's being done. e.g. you can demonstrate how to do a calculation, measure an an angle, construct a sentence, move text around etc. and record the whole process and save as a movie file that teh children can watch as many times as they like to remind themselves of how to do it.

For Promethean usersreading this - that software will do that too. (- best in the newer versions)

18. Inq - thank you for the file.
    I love the black box magically revealing answers! So simple, so easy to set up and incredibly effective.
    This thread has inspired me to think about using my IWB more effectively this year. I know I don't use it to anywhere near its full potential at the moment.
    I have Promethean ActivePrimary at school... does anyone know how to animate objects like you can on a Smartboard? I've tried and tried, to no avail.

19. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

Thanks for the file Inq.
    I'm going into school this week so I'll look for the product key.
    Great ideas/help, thanks everyone.

20. inq

inq

To get the product key you need the number off the bottom of the SMARTboard. The same number that you get covers everyone in the school so you may find your IT tech/ co-ordinator has a code if you have a problem.