1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Smart' trouser outfit? Fashion advice!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ROSIEGIRL, May 30, 2011.

1. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I have a formal do ( daughter's graduation) coming up. I have tried on umpteen dresses recently and they all make me look like the back end of a bus and I feel uncomfortable in them - I'm a 'plus' size.
    So I started wondering about sticking with trousers, which I much prefer. It needs to be a smart outfit and summery. I don't like fussy clothes - I'd love to look elegant. Or just smart.
    Ok - off you go! Help please!

2. ROSIEGIRL

I have a formal do ( daughter's graduation) coming up. I have tried on umpteen dresses recently and they all make me look like the back end of a bus and I feel uncomfortable in them - I'm a 'plus' size.
    So I started wondering about sticking with trousers, which I much prefer. It needs to be a smart outfit and summery. I don't like fussy clothes - I'd love to look elegant. Or just smart.
    Ok - off you go! Help please!

3. Try Ann Harvey

4. didn't ann harvey close down?

5. No

6. Just in my area then! [​IMG]

7. Maybe

They disappeared here as an actual shop but they are still in Debenhams and have a shop in MK and are online ... so I assume they still are going across the country ... maybe in fewer places

8. ROSIEGIRL

We have an Anne Harvey still. I just don't feel confident about putting stuff together.
    The last smart trouser outfit I had was from there - few years ago now.
    I quite like this
    http://www.annharveyfashion.co.uk/clothing/jackets/Brown-And-Stone-Long-Line-Jacket-53111908.html
    as a starting point. But they didn't have the matching trousers. And what would I wear underneath - it might be hot!

9. I got some lovely cream trousers from Ben de Lisi at Principles recently. They had tops and jackets to match, and were reasonably priced as well. Might be worth a look.

10. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

11. How about booking an appointment with the personal shopper at Debenhams or John Lewis?

12. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Marisota are good for plus sizes and usually have wide leg tousers and matching floaty wrap tops.

13. ROSIEGIRL

Thank you - will have a look at Marisota.
    Personal shopper? I think I'd be too embarassed chocolatebox - and they don't have a lot of choice in my size.

14. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Not much point as they don't seem to have much in plus sizes.
    Ann Harvey often have their clothes that match together.
    Have a look at Elvi their store closed down where I used to go, but they're still on line and do have shops around or departments in stores

15. Oh.
    I was trying to be helpful.

16. anon468

anon468 New commenter

17. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I know. [​IMG] It is a good idea too if not plus.
    I often browse around John Lewis and Debs and leave depressed and feeling like a blimp, (promising myself to diet - till I see the next coffee shop).
    Just looked at Elvi online and they seem to have become very frumpy

18. ROSIEGIRL

Thanks for all the ideas - tomorrow is another day, another shopping centre!
    I'll follow up the online ideas too - cheers!

19. Trying to think of a way to suggest this without revealing my secret telly shame...

Have you looked on the QVC website at all?

I've never bought fashion from them - a few crafty bits and the service has been excellent - but I have been known to have their shows on in the background on occasion, and they do quite a lot of clothes in all sizes at fairly reasonable prices. Ideal World do things at lower prices, but they look cheaper IMO.

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.nav/params.class.ukfa/walk.yah.ukfa?cm_re=mh-_-FashionAccessories-_-FashionAccessories

20. ROSIEGIRL

amyclare!!!
    (Thank you for sharing!)