1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SMART targets in MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Stuart_Jamie, Mar 7, 2012.

1. My sympathies.
    Your department/school should stop wasting everyone's time with this sort of nonsense.
    Energy spent writing SMART targets is energy taken away from simple teaching / good lesson planning. Why should the kids care about SMART targets?

2. thank you for your reply but it does not seem like we have a choice.
    So if anyone does use SMART targets in MFL or has done in the past, then any input would be gratefully received.

3. runaway

runaway New commenter

To do this you will need to have very specific measures of progress -so clearly agreed/defined sublevels or whatever alternative measure of progress you have developed.

Once you have broken these down into tiny steps you should then be able to 'lift' SMART targets to use. The idea as you know I'm sure is that the target is specific, measurable, achievable realistic and time-linked which essentially means make it small, clear how you you expect them to achieve it and a date when they should have done it by.

So, not 'level 5 by Christmas' or 'improve my spelling' but instead much more 'Prove you can use the past tense by using it accurately in the je form in at least 3 written pieces of work by half-term' or 'memorise 25 words including spelling and gender to be tested in writing next week'

You could make it easier on yourselves by each member of the dept taking a level each and developing some targets in this way then pool them all. It's helpful to cover all 4 skills and look at what you are already doing in the scheme of work so you are not inventing work but instead tightening up on what you are covering anyway.

Does this help at all?

4. buttongirl

buttongirl New commenter

Sorry this is all squished, it's all separate when I type but all gets put in one big paragraph when I post....

I find the best thing is to use a number and some sort of time frame (or 'every lesson/each time I...') in each target and you're pretty much covered in terms of specific and measurable. Some examples:

- I will learn the spelling and meaning of at least 5 new words per week

- I will read at least one comic, short story or news/magazine article in French every fortnight in my own time

- I will take part in class discussions by raising my hand at least twice every lesson

- I will practice one particular phonic or sound/spelling link at home every week

- I will include 3 different tenses in every piece of extended writing

- I will include at least 4 connectives (not including 'et' or 'mais') each time I write a paragraph.

- I will ask and answer at least 3 questions each time I do speaking work with a partner

- Every time I do listening work, I will note an 'intelligent guess' for all questions where I'm not sure of the answer.

These were just off the top of my head but I hope they demonstrate what I mean! Can then use it as your plenary sometimes by asking the pupils to look back on their target and discuss with their partner what they've done that lesson/week to fulfill it and what they could do better/more of next week or lesson to make sure they can say they're fulfilling it. Hope this is of some use :)

5. runaway

runaway New commenter

'measurable' should refer back to who it is that needs to measure this -ie the target setter, so be careful about what you set yourself up for. At the same time the only person who IS holding them to account is the class teacher so they do need to be the person who measures not the child -SMART is not quite the same as AFL.

That said if buttongirls school are happy with the method and if it works for her then go for it, why not?

6. buttongirl

buttongirl New commenter

Yes, runaway is right.
    I tend to get the kids to set their own target, but I generally guide them in the right direction by having groups of targets (i.e. presentation targets, reading targets, writing targets, extension targets) and asking them to choose an appropriate target for themselves from a specific group. They then self-assess wether they've achieved the target every so often and if they think they have they can choose a new one. Although I also tend to give them feedback from my point of view, it's the pupils that decide if they've reached it or not.
    That might not be quite the same as you were asking about if they have to be targets that you set the pupils as their teacher. Sorry about any confusion! Although most of them could work as targets by the teacher if you remove the 'I will' from the start of the sentence, i.e. 'use 3 different tenses correctly in a piece of extended writing'

7. Dear all,
    thank you very much for your comprehensive replies.
    They are much appreciated.