1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Smart Materials

Discussion in 'Science' started by Ciaragilsenan, Jun 1, 2011.

1. ? What are "smart" materials and why have they been developed?
    I Have an interview lesson on Monday and have never covered this topic before and not sure what I should cover with a year 7 class. Does anyone know what type of experiments or demo that I could do to get the students excited about the topic. Also I'm not too sure what they should know before i.e. intro to the topic.
    Any help would be much appreciated as I'm not confident about the topic.
    Thanks

2. hazcard

hazcard New commenter

D30 is a smart material, it's used in protective gear for cycling etc. If you google it there's a video on youtube. It's basically malleable until you hit it and then it becomes hard. You can get knee pads etc. from decathlon (I think), the D30 looks like orange rubber (if you decide to go and buy some).

3. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

Our school has a kit of smart materials including smart gum, smart putty and smart snow,
    Smart putty is good, if you hit a similar material (plasticine) with a hammer it will flatten but the hammer will bounce off smart putty. If you drop plasticine on the floor it will not bounce but smart putty will.
    Smart gum is similar but very viscous and a ball of it will flatten out over time but this is not very exciting to watch as it takes a while. It can also be used to make a clock as an object (ball bearing) will sink slowly through it.
    I used some smart materilas with my year 9 group as they have finished their checkpoint exams and we still have a few more weeks until the end of term.
    I found this catalogue / pdf usseful
    http://www.mindsetsonline.co.uk/images/catalogue2011/1.Materials.pdf

4. moose2

moose2 New commenter

I am certain there are some resources in the resources section. Deffo a ppt, just search or google it.