1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Smart Boards in the classroom?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jozy_100, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Hi, I am studying to become a primary teacher and I am currently researching into the impact of technology in todays classroom. I was wondering if any of you would be kind enough to let me know what you think about the use of smart boards in primary schools (under used/ over used etc) and if you feel you are given enough training on them? Thank you very much for your time.

2. Mine sits on the wall gathering dust. It doesn't work most of the time and when it does it is in such an awkward place in the room that the children can't see it and if it is a sunny day the picture is lost completely due to all of the windows in my room.

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

mine has been out of action 2 weeks waiting for a bulb......I hang bits of paper on it and move them round....kids dont think its very interactive lol
    I use it alot as there are never books in the school to cover what i teach and i refuse to spend hours making my own any more.
    Its normally used for most lessons but the internet connection is cr ap....so in the middle of a lesson it goes down and has to be re-started.
    thye are merly a tool in learning and they are only part of our 'amoury'......mind you there is a stake to go in the heart missing from that armoury...thats for the naughty kids by the way![​IMG]

4. I used to have a smart board and only ever used it as a projector as it never worked and was useless! I now have a promethean active board and use it in every lesson...it is fab! I use it to play games, look up things, watch DVDs, model activities and even to write on as it is so responsive and you can also easily save the writing for use later! Brilliant!

5. Youd be hard pressed to find a primary classroom without one nowadays, so in that sense they are a big deal, however I would assume in a research scenario its their use that matters, not just their existence, just like any other resource or tool.

Personally I used it for the majority of lessons with pre-prepared resources and then additionally as a second whiteboard to simply jot notes on, etc.

However as an ict coordinator I have provided training on IWBs and it essential to do it regularly or teachers often just forget about what it can do. Additionally, without a good Internet connection and constant maintenance where needed (and it often is!) they frequently sit unused because they become hard work for teachers are who are either less than confident with ICT or just can't be bothered with the faffing, while they are busy trying to teach.

Don't get me wrong, I loved mine (mostly cause I could fix it myself!!) but as someone who dealt daily with having to fix many others too, I totally understand why many teachers don't like them!

IMHO they would be a bigger revolution in teaching if the fundamental tech systems were always in place, and this varies wildly from LA to LA and school to school. Where these are they can revolutionise lessons, where they aren't...well it's an expensive wall decoration.
    :)

6. Oh, and don't get me started on projector bulbs......!!

7. I'm used to smart boards and try to make my lessons interactive where possible. The kids love moving things round to find solutions, explore etc. I do try not to just use it to project work but sometimes that is what I use it for. Combined with a visualiser I do like using the IWB.
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but as an aside - I'm looking to move schools soon, and one of the schools I've looked at has activ whiteboards (are they the same as promethean?) How are these different to smart boards?

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not having one the children have to come to the laptop to move things around and so it isn't half as good. I hate not having one as it does mean children lose out.

Mind you I've only just managed to get the internet in my room, so cannot really make too much fuss.

9. We have promethean activ boards...they are much better than our old smart boards...more responsive so can use them for more. You don't move things around with your finger, you move things with the pens. Other than that they do the same job. They have their own software called activ inspire that is excellent fit making resources too! Only downside that we gave experienced is that you cannot write over powerpoints or websites and keep the writing on the particular slide...although you can import powerpoints into their software and keep overwriting! Hope that makes sense...I am on my phone!

10. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Although, I would say the opposite. I find smartboards much easier to use and haven't seen a benefit of promethean boards that impresses me much. I would find it easier to move things with my finger than a pen.

In response to the OP. I use my smartboard most lessons and it would be really annoying if it broke as the 'normal' whiteboard is in an awkward position in the class and covered with a World map.

11. We had new smartboards put in a while ago and I love mine. I use it daily for a variety of purposes. However, I am a geeky girl and had previous experience of smartboards. There are others in school who only use it to project a powerpoint or as an extra whiteboard. So, I do think that training is key to getting the most use out of them.

12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

I still feel the biggest problem is training for teachers......as a supply i rarely get trained in any of the 2 boards i have to use in different schools...I have to learn it myself.
    I am now on long term supply and find suddenly i need to learn more...but the ict person doesnt have time to teach except the odd item...so the board doesnt get used to its full potential. This combined to a broadband connection which keeps dropping out and then restarts really pees me of..but the kids just take it i their stride.
    Then findng time to make or find the resouces is so time consuming so you end up using PP or odd programmes.
    I might say the kids love the baord if we can truely involve them in its workings..and some of them are to smart for me lol

13. well, i use it mostly in a very low-tech way - just write word documents (see - i don't even get as far as notebook) with the starter concepts/headings on and then adding to them in the course of the lesson, the joy of moving on to the next page with my scribbles automatically disappearing - maybe brain storming and screen printing
    i also write my own mini-workbooks, with examples and illustrations, which again i put up on the whiteboard - i used to hand them out, so of course the little s*ds used to spend the time meandering ahead instead of concentrating on what we were actually doing

14. oh - and i love them because i can do that

15. We had smart boards and then trialled a couple of new smart boards and a couple of promethean boards and then moved to predominantly promethean as our staff preferred them as we felt that they were more responsive and needed callibrating less. We also liked the software. We still have 3 smart boards in school, but have 10 promethean boards. I think a lot of it is down to personal preference...they all do much the same thing...move with your finger or with a pen...you get used to whatever you have! When I use our smart boards now I touch them by accident and things move...I'm not used to that as our promethean ones are not touch sensitive! [​IMG]