1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Small world play ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bex2606, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Hi
    My year 1 topic for the summer term is 'castles in the clouds'.
    For the first half term (only 3 weeks and 4 days) we are focussing on Jack and the beanstalk linked to growing plants for science. Does anyone have any fab ideas for small world play. I throught of using a planting tray to make a garden but don't want soil all over the classroom.
    In the second half term I'm focussing on castles for history and stories in fantasy settings (castles, dragons etc) and I have a toy castle for small world so don't want anything too similar.

Thanks in advance
    B

2. Hi
    My year 1 topic for the summer term is 'castles in the clouds'.
    For the first half term (only 3 weeks and 4 days) we are focussing on Jack and the beanstalk linked to growing plants for science. Does anyone have any fab ideas for small world play. I throught of using a planting tray to make a garden but don't want soil all over the classroom.
    In the second half term I'm focussing on castles for history and stories in fantasy settings (castles, dragons etc) and I have a toy castle for small world so don't want anything too similar.

Thanks in advance
    B

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The dragon's cave?

4. Do you have a sand tray? Fill that with compost and grass seeds. They grow really quickly.

5. Thanks for your ideas. I do have a sand tray but want to have some small world play in addition.
    Any other fab ideas?

6. comenius

comenius New commenter

You could use carpet tiles as grass and plastic plants (fishtank plants or dolls house plants). Lots of pebbles, rocks, bark, moss, twigs.... Plant pots as houses for play mobil figures.
    If you want real plants, plant in a tray with compost and cover with a layer of bark or gravel to help contain the compost. Then you could add lollipop sticks (for fences?!), twigs, pebbles etc along with little figures so children can make their own garden and change things around. You could have a pond with frogs in a shallow dish.
    When I did Jack and the Beanstalk I had the giant's castle as small world. I covered a builders tray in cotton wool (clouds!) and put the wooden castle in the middle, added a sack of gold coins, a harp (laminated picture!), a hen. Outside the castle I put a square of green felt and on it put a small cottage (a cheap version of a lilliput lane one) and a cow. I had finger puppets for the story so put those in and built a beanstalk. I also put a small box of beans in too.

7. Sorry I was replying to your post about not wanting too much mess. I figured if you had your SW in the sand tray with compost and seeds then the mess might be contained.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You could buy some turf to put in a tuff spot and plant seeds in it that would limit the mess??