1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Small world ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ballerina, May 1, 2011.

1. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

Has anyone got any ideas for small world play for Year 1 on the topic of night and day / nocturnal animals? Thank you

2. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

Has anyone got any ideas for small world play for Year 1 on the topic of night and day / nocturnal animals? Thank you

3. inq

inq

Puppets, a large cloth over a table to make it dark underneath, some torches, The Owl who was Scared of the Dark book.
    These don't seem like very coherent ideas, perhaps you could make a woodland corner with toy hedgehogs, bats, rabbits etc. I'm not sure what writing opportunities you could include though.

4. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

Thank you! This is on a budget also, but I like the ideas of puppets from one of our stories

5. We've done puppets for this topic before...in the end I left stacks of books we'd read on a table nearby with straws, sticks, card, scissors and tape and the children made puppets for whichever story they fancied.
    I also modelled using the area for writing using clipboards and paper. I wrote a mini play...this was just pictures with speech bubbles....the childen (HA and others) loved having a go at this and we ended up with a full display of writing! It was fab.