1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Small talk. Why? What's the point?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, Jan 26, 2016.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

http://www.theguardian.com/money/sh...e-words-say-job-interview-avoid-opening-lines

I am perfectly capable of talking small but I don't see the point.

Yet it is said that NOT getting down to brass tacks and NOT wasting time by enquiring about the weekend or whether someone had a good Christmas is less likely to result in success at interview than a bit of introductory waffle!

It makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Why would you suppose that someone who goes in for this will make a good worker? Surely the reverse is true!

2. colpee

colpee Star commenter

And the idea that shy job applicants could be primed with standardised opening lines that everyone will have read about and laughed out of court...:confused:

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Mild for the time of year don't you think gdw?

4. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Do anything nice at the weekend?

5. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Because employers generally choose people they like. People with some relationship skills. The public sector job selection process is not universal.

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Its like on the telly when the coppers pull over some miscreant and say "Hello, how are you?" to them, bloody pointless. What happened to "you're nicked!"?

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Are the 'less good' examples meant to be a joke? Would anyone really say those at an interview?

I like this one

“No, I haven’t been waiting long, and I’ve been well looked after.”

It show politeness and awareness of the trouble someone has taken to look after you (if they have of course!).

8. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

It's just breaking the ice, really. We do it instinctively, don't we?
    Avoid the weather, though.

9. grumpydogwoman

Not the weather???

But that's one topic I can actually DO! :(

coffeekid likes this.
  10. ah3069

ah3069 Occasional commenter

Oh god, I hate small talk, when i go to the barbers, I chose the barber who can only talk Italian instead of english, solves the problem nicely!

FigmentOYI likes this.
  11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I once interviewed a bloke who then asked me out for a drink. I might have been flattered but he also tried to chat up the person who'd showed him around when he first arrived. I think he thought it would get him the job.

coffeekid likes this.
  12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The office ladies at my school reckoned they could identify the successful interview candidate on the basis of first impressions when they signed in. I don't know why the SLT bothered with the interviews, sample lessons, professional discussions, lunch, and all the rest of it - they should have just asked the office what they thought by 9:15.

13. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

It is the first 5 minutes where the decision if often made.

14. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Three people in different supermarkets and petrol stations this past week have asked me "How's your day been?", which is a new one on me.

It's actually quite an effective way of getting small talk going (and I do like having a chat with the check-out folk rather than standing in silence) but I'm puzzled at its sudden development in my life. I wonder if it's the latest advice from business consultants on developing the business / customer interface.

15. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I once got a job based on the fact I was wearing the colours of the key interviewer's favourite football team.
    That and my magnetic charm.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  16. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

When this happens to me, the checkout workers always look a bit put out and panicky when I return the question. "Enough about me - how was YOUR day?"

17. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Have you booked/been on holiday yet?
    It greases the wheels of social intercourse with acquaintances. It is necessary.
    Says one who was only recently told to stop addressing colleagues (some of whom I have never contacted in any way) as "Dear So-and-so" because it isn't email etiquette. One of the offered alternatives was "Hey!"
    Over my cold dead body.

knitone, racroesus, colpee and 3 others like this.
  18. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

They get very confused if you answer with anything other than "fine, thanks" or a happy tale of lunching with Lady Mayoress.

19. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Depressing. And the reason my highly intelligent, highly-skilled son so often gets overlooked. You're paying someone to do the job, ***, not to be your new best friend!
    (Another thing we were told not to do in an email was use an exclamation mark. So sack me.)

racroesus and grumpydogwoman like this.
  20. grumpydogwoman

Hey! How ya doin' @xena-warrior ?

Have a good weekend?

I'm a bit of an Aspie, I think. I go to work to...... (radical view) work.

So small talk is horribly discriminatory. Against Aspies.

racroesus likes this.