1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Small schools versus larger on supply and PPA arrangments?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Happyregardless, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Where I've had full time supply contract before, I've usually been offered PPA in line with the rest of the school staff.

Recently, a school who wants cover for a few months said their permanent staff have PPA cover but supply staff do not, BUT explained that they don't expect written planning or formal paper work etc.
    The reason for not giving PPA being they are a very small school.

While I don't mind going above and beyond ( and have in many supply situations) agencies and schools do, do this every so often - kind of want you to take on a full time role without any of the benefits of a permanent or fixed term contract?

Also when you go for informal interviews ( just meetings with Head/look around school, rather than teaching activities to small group of kids/being observed etc ) how do you do it, as I missed work today to do this and as lovely as it was having the day off, had to take dog to vets in morning anyway, although this turned out to be a bit of a waste in the end as we'd missed his 4 week booster time window and had to have it redone, it was still unpaid. Then they say they have other people to see from other agencies anyway? lol

My experience and hunches about small schools has been that you end up doing everything and wearing gazillion hats, but it appears in this case that the Head does a lot of it. I do like going to well-run middle to larger schools on supply, just because you feel you can teach well and don't have to run around doing everything else, but equally there have been some small school that have been delightful to teach in, where behaviour is good. Also if they are in a lovely area and church schools with a good ethos and community it can be work the extra work?

I'm not sure how I feel about it. generally very positive and might be lovely few months, but on other hand, would I miss the flexibility of day-to-day supply and end up doing a permanent contract role for supply conditions - again only a few months?

sounding boards please lol

2. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

Okay. Even in a longer placement, even if they cough up an extra tenner a day, you are still paid by the session. You are, unless an NQT, probably paid below your scale.

Therefore, you do whatever you need to to get the job done, but within the minimum time possible.

Large or small school, I would not take on any school responsibilities on long-term supply. If expected to do Parents’ Evenings etc...I would ask for the extra session or part-session pay. Small schools may equal mixed-age classes, which have their own challenges planning and dynamics wise. Also, there is no-one to run things by whereas in larger schools the year teams tend to work and plan together.

I did all marking at breaks and lunch time, only stayed later than 4pm on a Friday to make sure I had prepared for the next week without taking anything home. When asked to do something in the holidays, for the year group, I got the extra pay agreed in advance.

As to PPA, I never had PPA in a long term placement, but was used as a bit of a bonus, to release other staff. This didn’t worry me, I understood that they wanted value for money.

I’ve said before, I got praised and it taught me that you don’t need to let it take over your life to do a good job.

Happyregardless and agathamorse like this.