1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Small school with exceptionally high level of poor behaving and special needs children

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by peterjsmith, Jun 28, 2011.

1. My daughter attends a small primary school, 140 children.
    Her year group has an exceptionally high level of poor behaving and special needs children which has been acknowledged by the teaching staff.
    Over the last 9 months the school has thrown all the resources and time it can to support these children, howevver the issues remain. The problem is not the type of problem its simply the size of it and it is not going to go away. These children will need support for the rest of their time at the school.
    In instances like this, where through not fault of anyones, the school is simply not able to cope what happens?
    Are more resources thrown at the problem?
    Is it possible to reduce the size of the problem and switch children to other schools who do have the resources to support them?
    Any help much appreciated

2. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

In my experience, unfortunately, what happens is that the situation endures, and people learn to cope in a variety of ways, not all of them helpful.
    There are many problems to this: SEN kids usually only get targeted support when they have been statemented, and there is some evidence to support the idea that many LEAs make identification a difficult process. Other LEAs are more helpful- but it all costs money, money, money. And there appears to be precious little of that commodity floating around right now.
    What is never recognised is the problem of the Tipping Point. By this I mean that even if statemented kids do get recognition, and a concomitant allocation of LEA funding for support, dealing with SEN kids is not as simple a matter as multiplying support in a linear way. Having one SEN kid in a class is manageable; having ten, and it's a completely differrent class, and the difficulty in teaching it grows exponentially. In other words, if a year group is spiking in terms of its SEN demographic, there are no additional resources to compensate for the skewed nature of its composition. The school can't switch pupils out- only parents can try to make this move, although managed moves can be negotiated between carers and schools.
    Not a happy picture to paint, I'm afraid, but this is the reality we face. And I gather that we face an enormous bubble in the pipe coming in a few years from foetal alcohol syndrome on an upswing. Some problems, we can see them coming.
    Good luck
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/