1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Small school threatened with closure = end of a community

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by bestteacherart, Dec 4, 2013.

1. I need advice, but for good reason I cannot mention my school in this forum. I work in a small rural school that has had a large deficit for yrs. The current fairly new head has made it their mission to reduce this, we feel at all costs. The governors are pushing to now reduce our numbers on the staff to unacceptable levels. Parents, inc governors are beginning to remove their children from the school. We think this is in part due to the financial situation which now looks like there is no way out with funding in the next 2 yrs time dropping drastically. It is now looking like the school may close in the nr future. I think this will be devastating to the small community, who will not only have to bus their children on a minimum of a 40 min drive over mountain rds that get cut off in the winter, but also the life and soul of the town depends on it's young people in so many ways. Who will move to a place with no school, and dangerous routes to drive them along? So my questions are these. Who can we approach to put a stop to this downward spiral in the schools fortunes? Is there any bodies out there who would fight for us to be considered as a special consideration given our locality? (This happens in Scotland). We don't think the governors or the head are appropriate given recent events including a threat of capability for many of the staff, and redundancies (hrs cut) for most also. Both of which are now being considered by unions. Can anyone help?

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

You'd be better off posting in the forum for the school's stage (primary/secondary) or maybe Opinion. This is the forum for the tech support...which doesn't seem to register on most people's radar (be they moderator or otherwise).