1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

small front garden and one car

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Jan 6, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

What is the point of paving it over?

2. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Paving a car is never a good idea.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

To avoid parking in the road, with the possibility of damage and perhaps parking costs...

Jamvic likes this.
  4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Advantages: Guaranteed parking. Nobody (usually) parks across. Gets it off the road. Avoids being bashed by other cars, vans, trucks.If electric, might need it for charging.
    Disadvantages: need permission to "cross" pavement off council, depends on type of "paving", lose garden green space.

border_walker, needabreak and Jamvic like this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I guess it depends on how much of a reduction is made to the motor insurance premium for having off-road parking overnight.

6. Ivartheboneless

I did it. My front (terraced) was already gravelled and the front wall was not original. I knocked it down and now park on the front. I no longer have to fight with the Borises next door for parking (as they respect it mostly). The pavement is very low anyway. Next door (other side) did it already and I asked them if they had sought permission from the council, they said no, so I didn't bother. The council have better things to do than check such parking. In "posher" areas some stuck up neighbour would grass you up to the council probably, but we ain't posh here. It is much more convenient for me than taking the car round the back, which is tighter, and further. I'm no gardener either.

Jamvic likes this.
  7. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Easier to clean it (can safely stand with a bucket, run the vacuum cleaner from the house). Depends how difficult street parking is in the area. If you live just off a controlled parking zone everyone parks in your street. We get swamped when the nearest football team play at home.

Having said that we don't have off street parking and even if we could I'm not sure we would. We like a flower or two to see as we come and go.

peakster and Jamvic like this.
  8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

No CO2 uptake from concrete!

No habitats for insects and
    invertebrates

No insects and larvi to feed birds,

No draining for flood water

slow death of planet, inch by inch

Don't do it!

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Best thing, get rid of the car......

lardylady likes this.
  10. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I agree with you. I look along our long road and think what a huge area of green all those pockets would add up to.

But I can see why people make that choice for practical reasons.

11. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

We moved from a house with on-road parking to one with off-road parking. In my last home I had two cars written off because they were crashed into by bad drivers while they were parked. Here, it hasn't happened...
    We had to apply to the council and get the kerb dropped, which cost a fair bit, but we needed it doing becaue the car went ker-bump rather scarily each time we drove onto the front drive.
    However, I do feel sad about the loss of green space, and I have a number of plants in large pots at the front, to soften the look. "Gardeners' Question Time" this week on Radio 4 had a whole section on this issue - how to have a drive and keep it green instead of grey. Worth listening to.
    If you have space, leave a border at the side possibly with a hedge, which can be planted for insects, birds etc, and which will soften the look. You can also get all sorts of surfaces which allow rainwater through, so the run off thing is less of an issue than it used to be. Even gravel is better than paving.

needabreak, emerald52, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Not really practical for most people (unless you live in the centre of a big city with good public transport).

13. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

The main times out street in brum get crowded are school starting and closing times as there os a primary school round the corner.

14. Ivartheboneless

This is why councils are involved. You are not allowed to just "pave over", it has to have considerations for drainage and "soak away". Mine is gravelled so water goes through, and as stated, it was there when I bought the house. the edges of it produce crocuses and starflowers in spring and all the cracks in the side walls have Hart's Tongue ferns, mosses, and other tiny plants growing which I like, so I am not green free. Having said that, as a non-gardener, it would probably have just been (dead boring) lawn, for the local cats to use as a toilet.

15. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

needabreak likes this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We had this last year - my Daughter returned back to lie with us and needed a space for her car.

So we converted part of our tiny front lawn into a parking space - we didn't get in concreted over we got a builder to make us a shingled area.

It works well.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That's LIVE with us before I get any indignant replies......

18. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

An alternative to paving would be to do what one of our neighbours has done. They have put down a sort of rubber surface which has cut outs where the grass grows through. It looks to me to be a more Eco solution and it looks good. I don't know what it's called. It's like the sort of stuff you see in some children's play parks particularly underneath swings where the grass gets rubbed away by children's feet.

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I installed a couple of strips of this stuff on our front lawn for when I bring the camper van home from storage. Before that I ended up with two huge wheel ruts in the lawn. It takes a couple of years to bed in and grow over but now it's virtually indistinguishable from the grass. I dug a couple of shallow trenches, half-filled them with pebbles for a base (and drainage), then laid the strips on top and filled them with soil and grass seed. It's not rocket science.

needabreak likes this.
  20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm impressed that you have a daughter who never lies to you - that's quite an achievement. :)