1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Small dilemma

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lara mfl 05, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not much use to you on employment issues, but it sounds as if just by writing you've got your thoughts straight.
    Just be honest and go and see your employers.

2. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

When I was a student I have a part time job with Woolworths (showing my age) and I had a 0 hours contract. I still worked regular shifts but it gave me a little more flexibility, I don't know if thats something you could think about?

3. Thank for the advice guys. To be honest if the school offered me the job I would take it (as ultimately it's what I want to do) and then would just sort out my notice period with Next, by saying I can't work during the week after such and such a date, and I want to use that period as my notice. They'd probably kick up a bit of a a fuss, but what would they honestly do? I'm offering them an alternative to make sure my hours required are covered, and if I got the teaching job I wouldn't need them as a reference anyway! Is there actually a legal requirement to serve out ones notice period?

Now Next have kept me on I may need to sign a new contract with them anyway, so I guess I could always bring it up with them then. Fingers crossed it sorts itself out one way or another. It is of course possible that I'm worrying about nothing as I don't even know if the school is definitely interested yet!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The Next decision has to be yours, of course, but I feel that although they have that notice period, they would be understanding if you got a teaching job.
    And if you were to be offered a teaching post, you could not afford to risk your future by turning it down.
    Very best wishes - we all have our fingers crossed for you, in the hope that you can start a new thread called: Dear Theo - I got the job!
    [​IMG]
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

I used to work in Next, as a Christmas Temp, and was then taken on like yourself on a more long term basis, but this was a long time ago. I loved it[​IMG]!! I don't know what size the Next you work in is, but the one I worked in was very big, so they were very flexible with hours etc.
    I do think that if you get offered the teaching job you should <u>DEFINITELY </u>take it though - but that's just my opinion! Hope you do get it[​IMG]!

6. Yes, the managers on my floor at Next are all nice people and they do know that technically I'm a teacher, plus they've taken on loads of people (so many in fact that I didn't have to work the Boxing Day sales as 'there weren't enough hours to go round!') so they should be able to be flexible.

IF I get offered the job (and it is a big IF, as I've only been told by the agency that they liked my CV, so have yet to be offered an interview or anything which I probably won't find out about until the end of next week) then I would definitely take it as ultimately it'll stand me in much better sted than hanging around at Next (despite the fact that working there is actually quite enjoyable). It was only ever a 'I'll stay here until something better comes up job' anyway.

I suppose in terms of notice, I'll just take it as it comes

Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement guys. Hope you're all having a good new year so far/enjoying new jobs!