1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

small children reenacting violent computer games

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rihlana, Apr 4, 2012.

1. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

I couldn't agree more! Unfortunately, it's all a sign of the times. Allowing children to access inappropriate material has been a concern of mine ever since the advent of TVs, video and DVD players appearing in bedrooms to keep children 'occupied' and out of sight of some negligent parents. This Xbox/Playstation phenomenon has escalated exponentially among the young - mostly unchecked and now stretches well into adulthood. No one in authority has ever flagged it up as a potential harm to our young it seems - the commercial forces always win and and eventually something will happen which will be far too late to drag things back to a sensible and responsible level as always. We already suffer the excesses of 'game play' with inarticulate and socially inept youth being unable to enter the world of work. I witness first hand every day the tired and mentally wasted fall out in junior school. The obsessive nature of these games is horrifying. It's the tip of the iceberg, I know, with nowhere to go but down. This one isn't limited to the underclasses either. As you say - it's left up to us teachers to handle it - again. God help us all!

2. That's the problem. Somne parents do think that they can't stop their children playing. How cruel would that be? If their little darlings can't do as all the others do..spineless useless ***.
    and some parents know it's the easier option to stick a child in front of a scren - saves them getting out the board game and interacting with their offspring. Mum and dad watching TV, children nicely tucked away in front of the games console. Sorted.