1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SM

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by bed, May 18, 2014.

1. bed

bed New commenter

Yup.

First headship.

Second term

OFSTED section 8

(new HT trigger)

turned in to section 5 and

BINGO!

SM

*sighs*

There goes the dream

Worked all my career and it was gone in a day.

Oh well

Onward ad upward I suppose

(Please don't ask for details they would only identify my school and me)

Bed

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, it may be trite and inappropriate, but . . .

<h1>(((bed)))</h1>

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Now, you cannot be held responsible for the state of the school in your second term. The state of the school is the responsibility of your predecessor.

So, it is now your responsibility (and privilege) to drag the school out of the mess it is currently in.

Go to it, Buster!

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Come on bed?. Less defeat, more fight. You can do this. Think strategically, plan carefully and inspire your staff to work with you to air lift your school clear from this cloud.

But get a good sleep first.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

And it it still seems to be a mystery to the government (and the previous one) that not enough people want to apply for headships...

As others have said - think, plan, inspire. You can do it!

6. bed

bed New commenter

So here goes - the staff have left - having trouble recruiting, many parents not happy, many children leaving, but quite a few parents supporting and positive, enormous disinterest from local press (oh good) massive school improvement plan written - god alone knows if HMI will like it.

Govs mainly sort of on board - CoG is a good egg - some govs not happy and one in particular is not supportive tho is saying the right things in public but is key player

I am trying to inspire but earning less than a deputy and being harangued for not improving things fast enough is very diminishing to the soul and I am finding myself embattled with nightmares and very very dark thoughts that come unbidden

The children are fab - they are my saving grace and I do it for them.

I shall attempt to inspire. I did once, as a teacher, it was word often used about me, inspiring , now all anything is is just tiring

And I'm so terribly tired.

7. DaisysLot

Hang in there bed?. and do feel free to purge and moan here. I dare say there will be many readers who have been where you are?.

Look after yourself?. if that means a monthly massage or lavender oil on your pillow to aid sleep do it?. Make taking care of yourself so you are fit to take care of business your business.

I'm personally looking forward to hearing when you start to win this battle :)

8. bed

bed New commenter

So HMI visit late July -not bad got the required fit for purpose judgement and criticised for not improving fast enough.

New term new teachers enormous pressure from la who do not believe I am capable of doing the job . Govs expressing lack of confidence in me

Teachers not up to scratch. Teaching day and usually half per week as well as meetings

Little time to do work needed

No life beyond work

Avid I'm not working hard enough

Have been told I should be doing 80 hrs a week

I can't

I simply can't so it

Spend much of weekend talking myself out of resigning and the rest doing work

Occasionally get out to have lunch or a short walk round the block but that's it

I am inadequate on paper in the eyes of the la and now also in eyes of the govs

This is my first h ship I came to it late

If we get out of sm by Christmas next year I'll be nearly fifty

I'm paid less than a teacher

I'm terribly unhappy

I spend no time with my family

I do nothing but work worry and cry

I am pathetic and fed up of what this job has done to me

9. Quijote

Quijote New commenter

You are not pathetic. The system is.

As Nomad pointed out in May, you aren't responsible for the state the school was in when you took over. And as Daisy posted, you need to look after yourself: that means scheduling time when you are the priority.

Your plan has been judged fit for purpose; you have appointed new staff; congratulations on both. The fight back has begun. Yes, the LA will be pressing you, but you need to hold firm. Your line is that the plan has been approved and you are implementing it. Improvements will come... but not if you burn yourself out, or if the LA put so much pressure on you that you can't function properly.

As this is your first headship, have you a mentor to turn to? Other heads locally could be a big support if you let them.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You have, in fact, moved things forward a great deal, so take heart from that.

And each out for support.

Several areas:

Other local Heads

Your Union - they can suggest people who could talk to you

And of course the TSN: http://teachersupport.info/

Just looking at their home page will give you a giggle - one of their revolving photos looks as though it's a dating agency. :)

But it isn't, at least not as far as I know. It's a very helpful 24/7 support mechanism for anyone in schools. try them.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I want to know WHO it was who told you that you should be working 80 hours a week, please?

PS I am willing to go round and shove their "you should be working 80 hours a week" up their **** if you want me to.

12. bed

bed New commenter

Thanks for all the super support and mildly disturbing threats on my behalf.

Its all ok really - sometimes it just gets on top of me .

Roll on retirement!

(only another 20 years to go)

13. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

No its not,'all O.K. really'. After two happy and successful Ofsteds I took early liberation in 2004. As well as positive reasons, such as wanting to be involved with ITT, I could see the way things were moving. I have continued to be involved in education. Sadly, what I feared is what has been happening.

I've seen a number of good people laid low by the totally pointless pressure applied to schools. It has not improved learning. The deference paid to a flawed testing system is ludicrous. The purpose and value of education is being lost.

Please let's get rid of political involvement in schools. Have a National Council, separate from the idiocy of people with no experience or understanding (most politicians) , elected to represent interested parties, e.g parents, educators, business etc. We have no national set of values and schools are buffeted by the whims of whichever party is in power.

You are enduring what should be a stimulating and uplifting experience - but it isn't.

It is time for professional organisations to say enough is enough.

I know I am in a privileged position and those employed have to be pragmatic.

One of my favourite words is, 'encouragement' regrettably there is very little of that in the current ethos.

Apologies for my frustrated rant. Do, as others have said, look after yourself. You matter and need to protect your wellbeing.

Those currently working in schools are my heroes/heroines. Very best wishes - enjoy the weekend.

14. DaisysLot

Bed - Anything we/ I can do to support you? Aside from being a supportive place for you to rant I really want to hand you a bottle of confidence? You can do it? You were appointed because you can inspire and lead. Please, please remember the feeling of determination you had when you were appointed - Dig deep, rest, focus, drive this car out of the mud. You can do this.

15. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

bed I am in a very similar situation although you are a few months further on than us, hold on in there, it can be done - it has to be possible or I too am up the creek. Demand help as well as scrutiny, is there a local heads network you can ask to support your cause? get a local head to mentor, get external support funded by LA (It is their job to help not just criticise) get your union involved where you professionally need support and highly recommend TSN for personal support (they are always very calm and listen and help you find your own way through)

16. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

As I admit in previous thread I tend to over react. I admire the determined people still working in the system trying to make the best of it. The practical advice is excellent - my rant not really relevant.

17. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Bed. Have you considered going back to being a classroom teacher, an inspiring teacher?

18. bed

bed New commenter

Oh dear I really have been to dark places.

But those times of desperation are fewer and less harsh when they do come.

I have indeed Pete.

But I'm not that far along yet.

I'm a tough old bird and (currently) am determined to improve the school.

Lots of us have hard times and this time of year always makes me reflect on life's true priorities and helps put things in perspective.

19. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

Good for you bed - we will get through this (all of us) and you are right about getting things in perspective but it isn't easy with the world and his wife lobbing stuff at you every minute.

20. bed

bed New commenter

Not getting through this.

On the verge of leaving.

Depressed and stressed and off work.

No future for me in current situation.

They'll go on without me but at least I know I've done the first and hardest part of the process - I've got the momentum going they just need to keep going with it.