1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slug in a jug

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon4582, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Have you used games such as 'Slug in a jug' to help children with their language & social skills, either one to one or in a group? How did you get on?

2. I have continuous provision of turn taking/speaking and listening. Sometimes it's partner work, sometimes a feely bag task, sometimes puzzles, sometimes Racing with Blends (great game), sometimes a numeracy game, sometimes Guess Who (great for describing)...sometimes giant snakes and ladders outside for counting on, Junior Scrabble...there's too many to list. One of the most popular things for our language skills is a basket of objects that we put outside in a tractor tyre for the children to look at, talk about and explore together. 6 children fit in the tyre and it's circular shape makes it a really popular (and comfy!) seating area. We fill the basket with wooden, soft, fluffy, sticky, prickly etc. things to stimulate discussion. A few 'mystery objects' are always thrown in too...so the children don't know what they are.
    I'm lucky to have a huge room, so after each learning session we "explore" the classroom and see what's out. Two of the permanent features on my independent planning are turn taking and speaking and listening though. They are usually really popular areas of the room/outside.
    Hope that helps.

3. Thats great
    Thank you [​IMG]