1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SLT's Salaries and contact hours

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cillia, Jul 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cillia

cillia New commenter

SLT's should have min 6 hours contact per week including heads and principals - Salaries should be no more than 150% of the teachers at the school - Many of schools colleges and academies are bullied around by Senior leadership teams that sit in their ivory towers and dictate how it's going to be with little knowledge of what's really happening at the 'coal face.'

Many schools are so strapped for cash as they are paying through the nose for SLT's on 6 figure salaries and deign to drive in on a part time basis in their Maserati! The schools are cutting or using cheap and inadequate facilities. Wh y can't the government see what's ahppenning?

2. mm71

mm71 Occasional commenter

They don't care

3. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

Can you provide the source for this please?

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I think it's @cillia 's opinion on what ought to happen rather than a statement of any actual rules.

Jamvic, nomad and border_walker like this.
  5. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

I would need to be paid a LOT of money to do the job of Headteacher.

Pomza, nomad, drvs and 2 others like this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

My SLT would love to be on six figure salaries and drive a Maserati!

And six hours a week, is more or less a full day a week in most schools. SLT don't have the time to do this, even those in small primaries where they have to.

digoryvenn, nomad and abacus1982 like this.
  7. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

…and I think we know why…:(

I remember as what was then called senior teacher in a 3 form entry primary school, I got an extra hour’s non contact. That was before the days of PPA when the average teacher in primary got an hour a week if lucky. So I had one whole afternoon and was on SLT. Plenty of time in those days. Pity it’s no longer the case. I think the deputy got two afternoons. And both of us were in Year 6 doing SATs.

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Secondary heads who teach have been a problem since before I started teaching in the 90s - because they so often have to be elsewhere that the classes get a raw deal. I remember helping write the timetable at the school I'd attended, and one aim was to put all the head's teaching on the same day, as "at least then they'll get a supply teacher in".

In my TP school, I don't know if the head taught, but he did do cover - Friday last period, no less.

9. drvs

drvs Star commenter

[​IMG]

Pomza and nomad like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

[​IMG]

11. install

install Star commenter

They are :cool:

SundaeTrifle, BetterNow and Jamvic like this.
  12. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Really? I don’t see all that much evidence. Some are paid a lot. Some aren’t. Some are paid a decent wage for the amount of responsibility and stress. Many are managing s lot of staff. How much should they be paid? How does this compare to similar levels of responsibility in the private sector?

13. install

install Star commenter

I agree - every head teacher should teach. The skill of 'teaching' has been devalued for too long - sadly even by some head teachers in some schools. Heads get paid enough - but teachers need to be paid more and their hours clocked, including Overtime.

The irony is that the word 'teacher' appears in the title role 'head teacher'. If only more head teachers supported their workforce more rather than hiding behind closed door offices. There are some good hts still out there though :cool:

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

As do I. All HTs should teach - stops them getting above themselves! I have posted to that effect on several occasions.

That said, I also dislike whiney, stampy-foot "Its not fair!" -type posts from infantile posters who have never been a HT or a member of SLT yet consider themselves appropriately placed to criticise those who are.

JohnJCazorla, curl88, install and 7 others like this.
  15. frankxwilliams

frankxwilliams New commenter

I guess then parents who moan who have never been teachers should get short shrift too?

install, cillia and Catgirl1964 like this.
  16. frankxwilliams

frankxwilliams New commenter

Perhaps explains why some have a post of 'Principal'?

install likes this.
  17. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The OP's posting history suggests general dissatisfaction with schools from the moment they joined TES.

border_walker and nomad like this.
  18. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Where’s my Maserati man...?

Nobody told me I was supposed to get one - I’m gonna investigate this as a matter of urgency on Monday morning (right after I’ve devised my evil plans for the week and polished my diamond encrusted back-scratcher...)

19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

There are a few schools I am familiar with that are having trouble recruiting, have little money for supply, and yet employ several senior managers on min 50K who only teach about 1 day a week in total.

I'm sure adjustments could be made.

20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Perhaps you should join a multi-academy trust?

Or howabout a free school?