1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SLT to class teacher?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by intrshaw, Feb 26, 2020.

1. intrshaw

intrshaw New commenter

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has done what I am considering doing. I have spent the last 3 years as SLT (Head of KS and class teacher) It's a tough school for behaviour, very demanding workload, difficult parents and I have been unhappy for a while. Due to personal reasons OH and I are conserving relocating to be closer to family (we currently live 50 miles away) The new area is a lot tougher to get a job in. A job has come up in an outstanding school with wonderful behaviour and a good reputation. However...it is only a regular class teacher. Ideally I would like to go for assistant head/DH and my current Head is supportive and thinks I am ready for a DH. The problem is not many jobs come up in the new area. Do I hang fire and wait it out hoping something will come up as it is still quite early or try to secure any job in a decent school? I can't think about putting the house up for sale until at least one of us has a job.

Does it look bad on your CV if you go from SLT to class teacher? Also to add this into the mix we have unsuccessfully been trying to start a family for some time and I am 37 (this is one of the reasons i want to be closer to family) I really don't know what to do. Anyone been in a similar situation?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Always go for the school rather than the role.

And in your application, (and in the interview if asked), so in your application have one or two sentences, no more, say that you are relocating to be nearer elderly parents,and having seen this vacancy in a school that you much admire, have decided that in such a school you would have every opportunity to make a very valid contribution to the welfare and success of pupils, even though you will be at a lower level than your current post http://bit.do/Click_1 can help you further here.

You'll notice that I don't suggest that you talk about how good it would be for you to be in a school with wonderful behaviour and a good reputation! A school is not interested in what is goos for you, only what is good for its pupils.

Good luck

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    sbkrobson likes this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

shrewd

MarieAnn18, ld7675 and TheoGriff like this.
  4. intrshaw

intrshaw New commenter

Thank you for the advice