1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

slt reduce to 4 days?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by tthp, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Hi, I currently am an assistant headteacher. In order to carry out my management duties I teach 3 full days, then have half a day ppa and one and a half days management time. (all 4 ass heads at my school follow this pattern.)
    When I return from maternity leave I would like to reduce to 4 days for the first term at least. My head has suggested I still teach 3 days with half a day ppa and then have only half a day management time (but with the same role). She kind of suggested my unpaid day at home would be my other 'non-contact management day' although of course not paid!!! (and as I am taking the day to be with my baby I wouldn't be doing any work!)
    Can she suggest this or do I need to still have the day and a half management time to fulfill my role or is at HT discretion?
    Confused?
    Thanks

2. Hi, I currently am an assistant headteacher. In order to carry out my management duties I teach 3 full days, then have half a day ppa and one and a half days management time. (all 4 ass heads at my school follow this pattern.)
    When I return from maternity leave I would like to reduce to 4 days for the first term at least. My head has suggested I still teach 3 days with half a day ppa and then have only half a day management time (but with the same role). She kind of suggested my unpaid day at home would be my other 'non-contact management day' although of course not paid!!! (and as I am taking the day to be with my baby I wouldn't be doing any work!)
    Can she suggest this or do I need to still have the day and a half management time to fulfill my role or is at HT discretion?
    Confused?
    Thanks

3. 3 days a week teaching seems like a lot to me for SLT, part time or full time.
    Some info for you to contemplate: Im secondary and our AHT teaches 9 hours a week, she's full time and the rest of her time is for SLT duties and PPA. In contrast a teacher's TT is 21 hours (25 hour TT), 4 hours PPA. You would be 0.8 so your overall duties should be reduced to fit that amount, our 0.8 teachers with no resp teach 17 hours a week with 3 hours PPA.
    Hope this helps. T x

4. I am intending to do something similar and all my commitments and entitlements will be reduced by 1/5. So if for.simplicity here we say that a day is 5 hours that would suggest you should teqch for 12 hours, have 2 hrs ppa (which is still more than 10% of your teaching time) and about 6hours management time. You should also have reduced management duties as well as you will have less time to carry them out in and should be doing slightly less than the other ahts at your school.
    Xx