1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

slt member - reducing to 4 days - ok?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by tthp, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Hi, I currently am an assistant headteacher. In order to carry out my management duties I teach 3 full days, then have half a day ppa and one and a half days management time. (all 4 ass heads at my school follow this pattern.)
    When I return from maternity leave I would like to reduce to 4 days for the first term at least. My head has suggested I still teach 3 days with half a day ppa and then have only half a day management time (but with the same role). She kind of suggested my unpaid day at home would be my other 'non-contact management day' although of course not paid!!! (and as I am taking the day to be with my baby I wouldn't be doing any work!)
    Can she suggest this or do I need to still have the day and a half management time to fulfill my role or is it at HT discretion?
    Confused?
    Thanks

2. Hi, I currently am an assistant headteacher. In order to carry out my management duties I teach 3 full days, then have half a day ppa and one and a half days management time. (all 4 ass heads at my school follow this pattern.)
    When I return from maternity leave I would like to reduce to 4 days for the first term at least. My head has suggested I still teach 3 days with half a day ppa and then have only half a day management time (but with the same role). She kind of suggested my unpaid day at home would be my other 'non-contact management day' although of course not paid!!! (and as I am taking the day to be with my baby I wouldn't be doing any work!)
    Can she suggest this or do I need to still have the day and a half management time to fulfill my role or is it at HT discretion?
    Confused?
    Thanks

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

On that arrangement I'd say you would gain nothing by working and getting paid for only 4 days per week as you'd probably have SLT duties building up.
    Suggest teaching 2.5 days, PPA most of the other half day and management time for the rest of the PPA session + one full day.
    The Head probably won't like that as they'd have to find someone to teach the half day, whereas they'd see the original offer for p/t working as saving the school money with the management stuff achieved by you outside work hours.
    Half a day PPA for 3 days of teaching is more than 10%, so the Head could always get the other management staff to take on a half day of teaching between them.

4. It is entirely at the head's discretion. When I was assistant head I had no management time at all! But it sounds like your head is more reasonable so negotiation is the way forward.

5. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

A flexible working application can be about changing working
    arrangements, not just reducing hours. If you think her proposal is all
    she's likely to agree to, you could make your application "continue
    working full-time, but working one day a week from home". She'd have difficulty arguing that it's not feasible, since it was her suggestion - but you'd keep your full-time pay.
    But if you'd actually prefer to work part-time, she needs to see that you cannot continue to do the same work in 80% of the time for 80% of the pay.

6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

how come you get half a day PPA if you teach 3 days?