1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SLT is there extra pay?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Ryvita1, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Posted this is wrong place so am posting again.

If we are on SLT going to meetings and doing lunch duty, should we be paid more then the M scale? Does it depend on the School?

Thanks any help appreciated.

2. Unless included in the Directed time menu, and within the constraints of the Factories and Offices act.

3. Thanks for the info,
    I only do one a week and get a free lunch but didn't think it was right.
    I will discuss it with school.

Thanks again

4. Teaqchers cannot be directed during their lunch breaks. We went on strike to get this many many years ago. Lunch breaks are not paid time.
    Unless on Leadership Scale, of course.

5. Teachers cannot be directed during non-directed time Tom.
    However, when that directed time takes place is stipulated by the employing school by menu in consultation with staff (hopfuly) and often is different for different staff, depending on role. Any change to those hours, in terms of when they take place, is negotiated between employer and employee too. The employee has the right to a 20 minute rest break if they are expected to work more than six hours at a stretch (non-directed time).
    Therefore, if you want to work your lunch break, and I am not suggesting you do or don't, make sure that the time spent doing so is deducted from your yearly 1265 hours of directed time!

6. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

You are quite mistaken, Thrupp.
    While directed time is stipulated, the Burgundy Book makes it quite clear that since 16th August 1968 no authority has had the right to direct a teacher to carry out mealtime supervision. Consequently, any teacher who chooses to offer their services as a lunchtime supervisor should be paid for it separately.

7. Thanks for all the replies.

I thought the leadership pay scale was for a deputy only. Is this wrong?

8. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Yep, the Leadership Spine is for HT, DHT and Assistant Headteachers too...essentially, anyone who can be deemed 'SLT'.
    Remember that being on the Leadership Spine brings different pay and conditions - Leadership teachers are not constrained by 1265 hours, or by restrictions on lunch duties. But that why they get paid more!
    It does seem that many primary schools try to give teachers the title of SLT or AHT, and hence give them greater workload and responsibilities...but don't actually want to pay them for the privilege.
    Mark