1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SLT email sent to personal, not school email.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by IceCreamVanMan, Feb 22, 2016.

1. IceCreamVanMan

IceCreamVanMan Occasional commenter

- a bit odd?

I had a meeting the week before half-term with SLT which was slightly contentious, but seemingly resolved. Today, I received an email to my private, not school email with a narrative of the meeting. I immediately sent it to my line manager on her school email, for her info (and for the record), fyi - my line manager has supported me 100% in regard to the 'issues' raised by the member of SLT....

Advice?

PS. Still in my first year of a new job, so on 'probation'

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  2. stampedeguy

stampedeguy New commenter

So how did she get hold of your personal email?

Personally , i'd send her a reply along the lines of " please keep the correspondence professional and use the school email address and not your personal one" then go into message rules and block her from any future reply

3. IceCreamVanMan

The only thing I can think of is that they looked at my personal file/application. What is also odd is that they referred to two members of staff without cc'ing them (I did, in my fowarding to my line manager).....

My wife thinks it's intimidation.....?

PS. It was from their school account to my personal account...

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Say your email filtered the address out as spam

Or set it as spam - and you will not receive any more emails from that address

A tip for next time...!

LizzieDripping likes this.
  5. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

It may breach the school ICT policy...worth looking at. :)

joannagb and Scintillant like this.
  6. IceCreamVanMan

Haven't acknowledged yet - should I (but from my school email, eg. thank you for your email, a copy of which I have forwarded to (name of line manager))? Or not acknowledge? (I hesitate using the formula above....this is my overall BIG boss).....not sure I can report regarding ICT misuse, I have to be careful as don't want to antagonise this person at all....

7. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Have you forwarded a copy to your own school e-mail account?

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

At the very least I'd reply to the SLT saying that you no longer regularly check this email address, and it was only by chance that you saw their recent message - if they have any thing important then please use [work?] address....

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Best not to wind them up. Perhaps you might be changing ISP providers and unable to pick up messages on the old e-mail. Basically same as Frank.

11. mr-vicsdowvs

mr-vicsdowvs New commenter

Hello,

I wouldn't say it intimidation (I obviously could be wrong).

I would hazard a guess that it's an early warning sign that they're expecting you to be on call/work around the clock. Nip it in the bud now - emailing your line manager is a step in the right direction.

If you're not a member of a union, I'd say do it today. I wouldn't ever reply from a personal email address otherwise you leave yourself open to all sorts of issues. You don't want anything coming back to bite you on the bum.

I know the whole probation thing, but to be frank, do you really want to work for an employer that is stepping over the line now?

12. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I think if I were her I would set up a rule to automatically divert these emails into a dedicated file and keep them - but I wouldn't delete them as Spam.

They might be useful evidence at soime point in the future...

13. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Possibly...depending what else is going on.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

14. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Not 'from', as I understand it but 'to' his personal email accoount.

15. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Acknowledge...but very professionally, using your school email account. Create a paper trail - just in case.

BCC it to your private email account and keep it.

16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Did they have your personal email from when you first arrived at the school, before your school one was set up? My school has mine for this reason only. Very occasionally they send an email there just because they type the first letter of my name and options pop up and they click the wrong one. Nothing sinister, just rushing to get a job done.
    Might just be a mistake...

LizzieDripping and wanet like this.
  17. IceCreamVanMan

Thanks for all your advice - at the moment, I haven't acknowledged as to be frank, no time to be on my personal email during school hours (I had only been checking a sent email from me to me as sometimes my school email won't accept a large PP). My HOD is aware (emailed to her immediately when I received it) the more I think about it, it's unprofessional but not intimidation per se. It has undermined my confidence somewhat as it has some little criticisms but nothing not easily resolvable. Chatting with others about the staff member has shown someone who may have too much time on their hands.....

LizzieDripping likes this.
  18. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I am also not convinced that you can assume that this was deliberate. Could just be because your hmoe email is there and automatically came up first.

19. LizzieDripping

LizzieDripping New commenter

They always do have too much time on their hands...

20. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

I wouldn't assume anything sinister. It could be, as @caterpillartobutterfly suggests, an accident that it was sent to the personal email address. But if not, I imagine that the decision was to do with confidentiality. The person who sent it may have been concerned that other members of staff would see what was on your screen when you opened it.