1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SLT being totally unhelpful

Discussion in 'Personal' started by disguise, Mar 12, 2012.

1. My SLT line manager is being totally unhelpful in something. It's hard to give details without giving away identities but suffice to say in this particular situation they are digging their heels in unnecessarily (IMO) and I am not sure what they are trying to prove. I am a bit of a go between in this scenario as the HOD concerned is not allowed to speak directly to this SLT member on the matter and must go through me despite it not being my area of expertise and despite this approach clearing not getting us anywhere. Instead of trying to resolve the issue, said member of SLT is ploughing ahead with their plans regardless of my concerns and is effectively covering their ears and saying I'm not listening. I have been told to get said HOD to 'come up with a solution' but they also refuse as they don't feel it's their job to do this as it's 'the school's problem' (exams issue). I feel like ripping my hair out, going to the HT and saying sod the lot of you.

2. My SLT line manager is being totally unhelpful in something. It's hard to give details without giving away identities but suffice to say in this particular situation they are digging their heels in unnecessarily (IMO) and I am not sure what they are trying to prove. I am a bit of a go between in this scenario as the HOD concerned is not allowed to speak directly to this SLT member on the matter and must go through me despite it not being my area of expertise and despite this approach clearing not getting us anywhere. Instead of trying to resolve the issue, said member of SLT is ploughing ahead with their plans regardless of my concerns and is effectively covering their ears and saying I'm not listening. I have been told to get said HOD to 'come up with a solution' but they also refuse as they don't feel it's their job to do this as it's 'the school's problem' (exams issue). I feel like ripping my hair out, going to the HT and saying sod the lot of you.

3. You might have to go to the head. It s **** though.

4. I'm going to have to go to the head in the morning now anyway. I went for a job a couple of weeks ago (much closer to home but similar job) but didn't get it due to lack of KS5 experience. I went in to see the head the next day and said I wasn't sure what I'd do but would reassess around Easter time (the interview was 2 weeks ago and Easter seemed a long way off then!) but I had a quick look just now on here to see if there was anything nearby (expecting there not to be as jobs round here are few and far between) but there is - again very similar post but 40 minutes closer. So I'm going to have to go in and tell her I plan to apply again. (She has asked for honesty in these situations and I don't see the point in hiding it anyway). I don't thin she will hugely amused but what else can I do except be upfront with her?

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I expect the head will understand
    <strike>after whinging about the joys of go-betweening</strike>.
    all about widening your experience and addressing new challenges

6. I am not sure which you refer to - me finding a new job (potentially) or the issues with my SLT manager?

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

does it matter?

8. Your head might want honesty but I'd be careful that your clear desire to work somewhere else isn't mixed up with your lack of effectiveness in dealing with the other problem.

9. Yes because I didn't understand what you were trying to get at.

As for my 'clear desire to work somewhere else' - this is partly down to the situation at the school (in lots of people's opinions poor management) and partly due to my hour and a half each way commute.

10. how did you get on with the head? I think that the travel is a pretty good reason to move schools!

11. If you have voiced this openly, you are no longer a desirable. No matter what your commute is, I would interpret this as you not being happy with the way I am running my school/business and your views would no longer be listened to, nor would I share my views with you.

Had you said that your desire was to develop and increase your career perspectives, and shown me the benefits of that for you and for me, I would do all I could to help you, including helping you to move elsewhere if nothing is currently available that I can offer you.

12. Let's hope that the head is more open minded and aware that writing staff off is never a good move as they might never manage to find a job elsewhere.

13. This is not what I said. No boss just writes people off. But you do not make decisions on "they might never manage to find a job elsewhere".

You nurture and help, but if that does not work, you must part. A job is not a charity.

14. Sorry, disguise, I know this is not what you want to hear. If you are depressed or suffering from stress, your management should be aware of this.

15. I haven't openly voiced this. I'm a little more tactful than that! In fact it was in quote marks because they were another poster's words, not mine. I wouldn't say I had a 'clear desire' to work elsewhere. I have told the head if something suitable comes up near home I will be interested. I haven't actually seen the head on this or any issue as they've been out on courses so we've not had a chance to meet. So all in all no offence taken but I would like to reiterate that I was also quoting another poster. I am one of those people that even if I don't like my job I don't do half measures. Do your best or don't bother at all I say.

16. SLT's arn't supposed to be helpful. It is their duty to annoy you and make you resign. In a goodly world, a magic person will come along to take your job and make their life so much easier. They will sit in their office eating crisps and throwing paper pellets at the bin.