1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SLT and striking

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by applepieplease, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Am I correct to think that SLT members don't strike? I thought this was the case but my colleague friend at another school seems to think that is not correct. Any advice?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

Surely it depends on the union they are in and whether that union agrees a strike call. If you are in, for example the NUT and they decide to strike over pensions then presumably SLT members of the union will strike! If they are a member of a union that either does not strike ( ie Voice) or decides not to after a vote, then they won't!

3. Management in the underground and BA etc are not in the same union, that is why they are able to man stations etc. If you are in a union that calls a strike then you should strike too or leave the union. It is your pension too - nothing about school management!

4. Thanks for the info. I'm an ATL member- not a NAHT member.....we shall see!

5. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

I think that regardless of your position, if you take any benefits e.g.PPA time, that the union have won on your behalf, then should be prepared to stand up and be counted when asked to stirke.