1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slow messy handwriting in a 9 yr old

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ksw1000, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Can anyone give me advice? My 9 yr old is struggling with writing. His handwriting is large, messy and he writes painfully slowly. Often he cannot be assessed in class as he hasn't completed enough writing, therefore is falling behind. He doesn't finish tests on time everything is weighted against him as he writes too slowly. It really is painful to watch him do his homework, and i find myself loosing my temper after an hour and only a couple of sentences being written. Does anyone have any advice as to how to help him?
    Thank you

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

I've never seen a new poster with 0 posts before.
    How has you son reached the age of nine without his 'specific learning difficulty' not being addressed? Why is a nine-year-old doing an hour's homework?

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I think that Inky is suggesting that you ask the school for help - classteacher, SENCO etc.

4. http://www.phonicsinternational.com/Joined%20Handwriting.pdf

It's very worrying that the school has not ensured that your son can write well before now.
    I think you need to start afresh and teach him. Try the above style and if you want any advice, contact me:
    debbie@phonicsinternational.com

I have taken large numbers of older students with dreadful handwriting and taught them to write well in a limited amount of time. It can be done - but many teachers do not know how it can be done - or think the pupil is not teachable.
    I have shown over and again that this is not the case.
    Very rarely, there are children/people who struggle to write because of genuine disabilities or discomfort - mostly it's poor teaching or no teaching or teaching which is not supported and monitored well enough throughout a whole school.