1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slow day in the Commons

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  2. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

"Period poverty"...glad we've got all the other kinds of poverty sorted and can move now to the next level.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm sure she feels much better for sharing.

4. Vince_Ulam

I wonder if she received a standing ovulation.

blazer, Burndenpark and Mrsmumbles like this.
  5. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

People should donate tampons to food banks. They do often ask for soap and other toiletries.
    https://www.trusselltrust.org/get-help/emergency-food/non-food-items/

If some women are too poor to afford proper tampons and towels, should it not be discussed in parliament? Or is it just the specific mention of her own period that's TMI for you? I read the article you linked to and the idea of people having to use newspaper instead of a tampon or towel isn't something I would respond to with condescension and mockery.

6. Vince_Ulam

I would be very surprised if any woman in this country were too poor to afford the tampons they require twelve times annually. If they appear to be then they should be means-tested.

7. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

8. Vince_Ulam

People have a choice upon what to spend their money. If they choose not to spend their money on sanitary products twelve times a year then this does not make them poor. Smokers, drinkers & smartphone users, almost certainly.

artboyusa likes this.
  9. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

This really saddens me.

10. koopatroopa

You phrased that to minimise it, as if a woman needs one tampon every month because her period is a single event, as opposed to something which happens over several days. If you change it to something women "require" for approximately 25% of the year, it sounds a little different.

If people are struggling to afford to eat, I think they're also going to struggle to pay for a box of tampons.

11. koopatroopa

People only have a homie about what to spend money on if they have disposable income.

Girls in the UK generally start getting their period between 12 and 13 years. Are they too smokers, drinkers and smartphone users with a disposable income?

monicabilongame likes this.
  12. Vince_Ulam

The menstrual cycle has a monthly period, hence twelve times annually. This is a fact.

It would sound to be what it is, incorrect.

People require food each day of the year so it's understandable that people with large families might require some assistance from food banks. Tampons &c are not required with this frequency, I expect that other things may be cut from the personal or household budget to pay for these things. It is a matter of priorities.

13. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

£1.90 for a box of 20 at Tesco's. Gimme a ******* break.

14. Vince_Ulam

Most people have some. Those who have none will receive benefits.

Smokers & drinkers, some will be but then nobody expects their young daughters to purchase their own sanitary products.

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Classic.

16. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Unless you're benefits have been "sanctioned" / stopped.

Or you're waiting for them to be sorted out.

and other reasons.

etc.

17. koopatroopa

18. Vince_Ulam

Yes, this happens from time to time but it is not a lifetime sentence.

19. Vince_Ulam

20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter