1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slow cookery... for Beth (or anyone else)

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by steffiw, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Think Beth, combined with regular 12 hour days, has managed to convert me to the benefits of slow cookery.

Is there anything I should specifically look out for when buying one at the weekend? What size/features are best?

And, when I use it, can I just chuck in a bottle of wine like I would with a normal casserole that goes in the oven?

Any recipe suggestions?

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I bought mine for under a tenner in Asda. It has high, low and auto... and that's all I've ever wanted. It's not huge, but there's just me... it usually makes plenty for 4 portions.

You need less liquid than you do cooking by other methods.

3. Bought mine from Asda too in a sale, wasn't very expensive. IT's quite large even though I'm only cooking for one, but I like to batch cook and freeze the rest for those days when cooking from scratch is the last thing you feel like doing.
    I've had successes with chilli, spag bol, soups and sausage casserole so far but I'm still a slow cooker novice really. My next challenge is to do a chicken stock in it. I think it should be easier than cooking a stock on the hob for hours.
    I echo lil above with the advice about using less liquid. My first chilli was more like beef soup (although still very tasty!)
    Let us know how you get on!

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Welcome to the wonderful world of slow-cooking!
    Yes, a slow-cooker does use less liquid - but you'll get used to it pretty quickly.
    Wine is fine in the slow-cooker - just use a little less (I find it a good idea to pour the excess into a glass and enjoy a 'cooks perk'!)...and you can also use beer or cider.
    I live alone and find the small size works for me....if you have a large family/big freezer then go for a larger cooker.
    As for 'features' - I wouldn't bother! Mine has three settings, low/high/auto and that's about it.
    Some slow-cookers have a crock (the inner part) that can go on the hob for browning meat, others have a browning setting - I've never really bothered to brown meat so don't need that function.
    Most of the crocks will be suitable to sit on the table and you can serve directly from them - Mine is a simple brown one, but I have seen expensive ones that have stylish looking crocks - I wouldn't bother paying extra for that!
    Mine comes from Lakeland (where else?!!!) but there are some good supermarket bargains to be had.