1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slow cooker

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by daisyhorse, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Do you think this could be a contender for the slow cooker?

wonderbag

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

How very dare you!
    That will never replace the slow-cooker!
    .....actually, I have used a very basic version of that before....as a Girl Guide I was introduced to the wonders of hay-box cookery! The principle is quite sound....and they do actually work.
    However, they are extremely limited - not like the amazing slow-cooker which can do so much!

3. To try out my new slow cooker, I'm doing beef topside with veg, very much like your recipe . wish me luck

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Let us know how it goes.

5. Instead of using wine, use a nice bottle of real ale.

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Lots of luck!
    (Once you get used to the slow-cooker you'll love it!)

7. The picture of the wonderbag reminded me of Oma Leni.
    Whilst she did not cook with a thing like that (nor with a slow cooker), she was used to always cooking for 13.00 hours sharp, for Opa Horst. She would put the food in a Henkelmann (an old fashioned version of a bento box, made of metal and with a wire handle) and ride on her bike to his place of work to bring him his dinner.
    For the rest of us, who had modern things like work canteens (actually, so did Opa Horst by this time), she would put the food in a large pot or lidded dish, then wrap up in several layers of newspapers, followed by a few layers of towels and then finished off with a Biber (flannel) bed sheet. This was then placed under the cushions on the sofa.
    When we got home from work in the evening, the food was still piping hot. No need for microwaves!
    At the weekend, we were of course expected to eat at 13.00 hours. On the dot. No excuses.

8. I'm thinking of buying a slow cooker but having read reviews not sure if I could leave it on from 7am till 5pm. Any tips?

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

No problem at all in leaving it on from 7am until 5pm. When I worked stupid hours I put my slow-cooker on before 6am and didn't get home until 10 or 11pm!

10. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Welcome to the world of slow cookers! How did it go?